Best Fishing and Camping Spots
Camp and Fish from Border to Border in South Dakota State Parks
From the legendary Missouri River to hidden gem lakes in state parks, South Dakota is a haven for anglers and campers of all levels. State parks make the ideal fishing and relaxation destination with nearby boat ramps and shoreline fishing opportunities. Cast your line into picturesque lakes and rivers abundant with walleye and bass to trout and salmon. Explore some of the best fishing and camping spots in every region across South Dakota in our state parks.
Fish and camp along the scenic Missouri River.
- Located on Oahe Lake, Spring Creek Recreation Area and Cow Creek Recreation Area offer modern lodging options, campsites, and boat launches. West Whitlock Recreation Area near Gettysburg is the ideal fishing and camping destination with a variety of family-friendly amenities.
- On Lake Sharpe, Farm Island Recreation Area and West Bend Recreation Area provide tranquility with campsites and shoreline with nearby shade trees. Farm Island’s fishing pods make shore fishing accessible for everyone.
- Located further south on Lake Francis Case, Snake Creek Recreation Area and Platte Creek Recreation Areas are popular boating and fishing areas that offer fish cleaning stations, picnic shelters, showers, and scenic campsites overlooking the river.
Fish and camp amongst the glacial lakes in the northeast. With abundant lakes and scenic prairie, the northeast has many hidden gem parks that often have last minute campsites late summer and into the fall.
- Hartford Beach State Park along the Big Stone Lake is a popular destination for anglers and offers family-friendly amenities.
- Mina Lake Recreation Area offers modern lodging accommodations right on the water.
- Oakwood Lakes State Park is a tranquil retreat with trees bordering all sides of the lake conveniently located by Brookings. This is a peaceful lake to kayak and fish.
- Roy Lake State Park offers amenities for all levels of anglers including rentals and modern lodging accommodations.
- Lake Thompson Recreation Area offers a modern lodging opportunity near boat access with ample parking for groups.
- Pickerel Lake Recreation Area is known to be a great fishing lake, and it offers more accessible access with paved walkways and campsites.
- Fort Sisseton Historic State Park, Lake Herman State Park, Lake Louise Recreation Area, Lake Poinsett Recreation Area, and Pelican Lake Recreation Area also offer great fishing and camping spots.
Southeast South Dakota offers great fishing and camping opportunities along the Missouri River and at hidden destinations on smaller lakes and rivers.
- Near Yankton, Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, Chief White Crane Recreation Area, and Pierson Ranch Recreation Area are very popular destination for fishing access and stays along the Missouri River.
- North Point Recreation Area and Pease Creek Recreation Area on the Missouri River by the Randall Creek Dam offer great opportunities to camp where you fish.
- For hidden gems with quiet yet stunning views, Big Sioux Recreation Area, Lake Vermillion Recreation Area, and Palisades State Park make for relaxing shoreline fishing and camping destinations.
Located in the Black Hills, Custer State Park, Angostura Recreation Area, Sheps Canyon Recreation Area, Rocky Point Recreation Area, and Bear Butte State Park all offer convenient access to fishing while camping.
- For those interested in staying in comfort or spending time horseback riding, Sheps Canyon Recreation Area offers horse campsites and modern lodging options.
- Rocky Point Recreation Area, located on the Belle Fouche Reservoir, offers a family-friendly campground with boat ramp access.
- Bear Butte State Park is a hidden gem for camping and shoreline fishing on the Bear Butte Lake.
- Located in the northwest, Shadehill Recreation Area and Llewellyn Johns Recreation Area are on the Shadehill Reservoir and offer many family-friendly amenities.