The rivers and lakes in South Dakota give kayakers, canoeists and paddleboarders endless opportunities for adventure. Find state parks suited for paddle sports or those with rental equipment
Jay Heath Canoe and Kayak Trail
The Jay Heath Canoe and Kayak Trail is designed for canoers and kayakers to navigate water trails along the Big Sioux River in eastern South Dakota. The map lists launch sites and campgrounds as well as general information about each site. The trail map was created as a partnership between South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks and the South Dakota Canoe and Kayak Association.
Safety tips for a fun, safe trip out on the water
- Do not take canoes, kayaks or paddleboards out in windy and/or stormy conditions.
- Make certain there is at least one adult in the canoe or kayak.
- Make certain that all lifejackets fit properly and are zipped/hooked correctly.
- Do not stand in a canoe or kayak.
- Stay out of the swimming area.
- Stay close to shore, especially when just learning to paddle.
Fences Across Navigable Streams
Fences cross many of the navigable streams in South Dakota and gates in fences are required in some portions of navigable streams. Please consult The Guide to Fencing of Navigable Streams brochure for more information on stream fencing.