The mission of volunteers at the Outdoor Campus is to cultivate stewardship and safely connect people with the outdoors by supporting and leading educational opportunities.
We are currently not seeking volunteers during this time. Please check back at a later date!
- Information Desk/ Greeter (must be 18+)
- Naturalist Assistant
- School Programs Assistant
- SD Wildlife Interpreter
- Volunteer Instructor
- Must be 12 years of age or older
- Submit a completed application form to the Volunteer Coordinator
- Complete a volunteer interview and orientation
- If 18 years or older, agree to and pass a criminal background check
Volunteer Mentor Program
The mission of the Volunteer Mentor program is to have passionate and knowledgeable volunteers help recruit and retain future generations of outdoor recreationists. Volunteer Mentors will help develop advocates for the outdoors in South Dakota by enhancing new participants’ understanding, safety, skills, and opportunities in outdoor recreational activities.Opportunities
- Volunteer Hunting/Shooting Sports Mentor
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Meet South Dakota residency status
- Agree to and pass a background check
- Hold a HuntSAFE card, or have a hunter education certification from another state
- Have firm knowledge and background in hunting and shooting sports
- Attend, participate in, and assist with Hunting 101 field days and classes as often as possible to build relationships with the mentees and GFP Education staff
- Commit to at least one mentee per year. Committing to a mentee involves guiding the student throughout the whole process
We have projects to offer to groups of volunteers such as scout groups, local high school groups, church groups, and youth groups etc.; however, we do not offer opportunities for court-sentenced community service.