Volunteer with Us
Volunteers at State Parks :: Apply online today for a 2018 state park volunteer position.
Protecting, managing and interpreting South Dakota's natural lands and wildlife are no small tasks. Each year, hundreds of people donate their time and talents to do just that as they volunteer within our state park system. On-site volunteers are provided with a campsite during their service in exchange for 24 hours of service per person per week.
The majority of volunteer sites are full hook-up (water, sewer and electric). Volunteers provide their own housing and personal items. Service is purely volunteer. These are unpaid positions. Most work takes place on the weekends, but schedules are fairly flexible. Commuter volunteer travel from home and work is needed.
- Campground Host: Greets visitors and keeps an eye on campground activities.
- Campground Attendant: Interacts with visitors, check in campers and keep an eye on campground activities.
- General Volunteer: Helps out in all areas of visitor services and park maintenance.
- Maintenance: Keeps the park in top shape for visitors.
- Office: Interacts with visitors, answer phone, take messages and assist with general office duties.
- Programs and Events: Interprets natural surroundings for visitors.
- Special Projects: Contributes to special projects and suggests new ones.
- Visitor Center: Greets and shares information with visitors.
Complete your application as much as you can. More information will help us place you in the right position. Applications are accepted year-round for current positions. Positions open in October for the following summer season.
- Most positions run mid-May to mid-September.
- Some positions can start as early as April and run through October.
- Custer State Park also has needs for winter/spring volunteers. Please indicate your availability on your application.
- As little as one month of service is considered. Preference is given to volunteers who can serve several months or have previous volunteer experience.
- Individuals and couples are considered for each of the positions.
- All applicants offered a position must pass a criminal background check. We cover all associated costs.
To learn more about volunteering in South Dakota State Parks, contact the volunteer coordinator at 605.773.3391.
Volunteers at the Outdoor Campuses
The Outdoor Campuses in Sioux Falls and Rapid City are the gateways to a lifetime of outdoor adventures. Through the careful guidance of staff, you will find yourself drawn into activities you had never considered: hunting and fishing, cross-country skiing, shooting a bow and arrow, cooking wild game in a Dutch oven, gardening for butterflies and more. Adult volunteers must be 18 years of age or older and commit to 50 hours a year.