- Horseback Riding
Sheps Canyon Recreation Area
Nestled along Sheps Canyon Bay, Sheps Canyon Campground is the newest campground on Angostura Reservoir. It offers great access to the boat ramp and excellent shore fishing opportunities.
Sheps Canyon Lodge
This lodge was originally located at the US Army Ordnance Depot at Provo, SD, (active from 1942 to 1968), and served as a commander's quarters. The home was purchased at auction and moved to its present location in 1996 by Sam and Diane Hill. This property was sold to the State of South Dakota in October of 2012.
Situated near the lodge is a full log bunkhouse, which was originally used as a schoolhouse in the northern Black Hills near Engelwood. It is now a camping cabin. The lodge affords great views of Angostura Reservoir to the east, along with surrounding areas of the southern Black Hills.
Lodge is reservable up to one year in advance
About the Lodge
- $280 per night up to 12 people.
- $10 per night for each additional person with approval from of park manager.
- $45 per night up to 4 people for separate camping cabin/bunkhouse - with lodge rental only.
- Four bedrooms.
- Camping cabin/bunkhouse available to sleep an addition 4 people at extra cost.
- Wheelchair accessible, main level.
- Four full bathrooms.
- Air conditioned and heated.
- Wireless internet, telephone and satellite TV.
- Linens are not provided.
- No smoking or pets allowed, exception of service animals.
- Vehicles restricted to established roads and parking areas.
- Campfires are allowed only in approves fire grate and are subject to burn bans.
- Out-of-state firewood is not allowed in the park; collecting firewood is prohibited. Firewood is available to purchase from park staff.
- Reservations can be made 1 year in advance.
- Lodge Procedures
- Linens are not provided
- No smoking or pets allowed, except service animals
- Water usage is limited to well capacities
- Vehicles restricted to established roads and parking areas
- Campfires are allowed only in approved fire grate, and are subject to burn bans
- Out-of-state firewood is not allowed in the park; collecting firewood is prohibited. Firewood is available to purchase from park staff
- Daily: $8 per vehicle
- Annual: $36 first vehicle | $18 for second vehicle | $80 transferable license
- Campsites - electrical: $26 per night
- Campsites - non-electrical: $22 per night
- Lodge: $280 per night
Open: Year-round. Between Oct. 1 and April 30, showers, flush toilets and other water systems may be closed. Please contact the park directly for current status. Vault toilets usually remain open.
Park Size: 22 campsites and 11 horse campsites
6 miles south of Hot Springs on SD 71, 5 miles east on Sheps Canyon Road.
Nearest Town: Hot Springs
Make reservation online or call 1.800.710.2267.
28150 South Boat Ramp Road
Hot Springs, SD 57747
- Boat Ramp
- Canoe/kayak rentals
- Drinking water
- Dump station
- Electric campsites
- Fishing pole checkout
- Flush toilets/showers
- Game checkout
- Horse camp
- Paddleboard rentals
- Vault toilets
ADA / Accessible
- Camping Site