Eligibility: For groups or organizations in lieu of individual park entrance fees for a private one-day event held at state parks or recreation areas. Available in increments of $50 for every 50 people age 12 and over attending. Competitive events not eligible. Estimated attendance and payment in full required at least 15 days prior to event. No refunds. Does not extend overnight.
If the event involves 200 or more participants, or if the event is determined to involve a high risk of injury to participant or others, liability insurance and waivers will be required. The above Event Organizer shall not engage in the organized event without securing the following insurance coverage, if required, and having said coverage approved by the Department of Game, Fish and Parks.
- Commercial General Liability Insurance or equivalent form with a limit of not less than $1,000,000 each occurrence. If such insurance contains a general aggregate limit, it shall apply separately to this application or be not less than two times the occurrence limit. A certificate for the above insurance must be provided and is subject to the Department’s approval. The insurer shall state in its Certificate that no cancellation of the insurance will be made without at least thirty (30) days prior written notice to the Department.
- Liability Waivers:All adult participants must sign a Waiver of Liability, Indemnification and Medical Release. Minor children must have a signed waiver from a parent or guardian before participating. The Event Organizer is responsible for securing forms from participants. A completed waiver for each participant must be submitted to the Department within five days of the completion of the event. The Department Site Manager will provide a copy of the State waiver if they are required.
The Department’s approval or acceptance of above certificate of insurance or waivers shall in no way release or relieve the Event Organizer from any responsibility, liability or obligation. All insurance policies and Certificates shall be issued only by companies licensed to do business in the State of South Dakota and acceptable to the State. If the application is approved, it shall be the Event Organizer’s responsibility to keep the coverage current and in force for the duration of the permit. Examples of liability waivers acceptable to the State are available from the Department Site Manager or the statewide Special Event Permit Coordinator.
The following conditions are agreed to by the Event Organizer and persons participating in above described activity:
- 1. The Event Organizer agrees to hold harmless and indemnify the State of South Dakota, its officers agents, and employees, from and against any and all actions, suits, damages, liability, or other proceedings which may arise as the result of the negligence, misconduct, error or omission of the Event Organizer or any officer, agent, member, or employee of the Event Organizer.
- 2. If the event or activity warrants, the Department may require the Event Organizer to provide proof of insurance and such insurance must be approved by the Department of Game, Fish and Parks. In addition, participants in activities presenting a high risk of injury may be required to sign or, in the case of minor children, present signed waivers of liability prior to participating in the event. If so required, SPECIAL EVENT INSURANCE AND WAIVER REQUIREMENTS will become part of this document, and Event Organizer will secure and maintain said coverage and/or waivers for the duration of the Permit.
- 3. Neither the Department of Game, Fish and Parks nor any of its employees shall be responsible for damages to property or injury to any person arising out of the permitted activity or incident thereto.
- 4. The Event Organizer is responsible for taking all necessary precautions for the health and safety of the participants and spectators.
- 5. The Event Organizer shall clear the grounds, remove equipment and restore the site to its original condition by the end of the day the event is completed.
- 6. The Event Organizer will make no charges for special services rendered other than charges which are reasonable. These charges may be for such event services as: insurance, reserved seating, food concessions, and attendee or entry fees for contestants or event programs. If deemed by the Department, a percentage of any fees collected for the event may be required to be paid to the department. All charges related to the event must be agreed upon in writing between the Event Organizer and the Department prior to the approval of this application.
It is fully understood by the Event Organizer that this application for permission to hold a special event on public water and/or land controlled by Game, Fish and Parks is requested with full knowledge that the above-mentioned conditions must be adhered to. Violation of the provisions of this application is a misdemeanor and may result in revocation of this application and/or denial of future applications.