GFP Commission Finalizes Changes to Spring Turkey, Bobcat Seasons; Changes Date for Elk License RaffleSeptember 4, 2020
PIERRE, S.D. – The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission finalized several popular seasons at their September meeting, including bobcat hunting and trapping, and spring turkey.
Some of the specific changes included:
• Increased the total number of licenses available for spring firearm turkey hunters.
• Combined several east river counties to form larger turkey units, allowing for increased hunter opportunity.
• Simplified the start time for pheasant hunting to 10:00 a.m. CT for the entire season, including the resident-only season, which begins this year on Oct. 10.
• Extended the pheasant hunting season end date to January 31.
• Expanded the bobcat season statewide with dates of Dec. 26, 2020 – Feb. 15, 2021 for residents and Jan. 9 – Feb 15, 2021 for nonresidents.
• Changed the date for the drawing period for the elk license raffle to no later than July 15 to allow additional time for unsuccessful elk applicants to enter the raffle.
To view the finalizations in their entirety, visit gfp.sd.gov/commission/information. Audio from the meeting is available through South Dakota Public Broadcasting and will soon be available on the GFP website as part of the meeting archive.
View All News