GFP Commission to Hear Public Comment on Proposed Nest Predator Bounty Program for 2020January 23, 2020
GFP Commission to Hear Public Comment on Proposed Nest Predator Bounty Program for 2020
PIERRE, S.D. – At their January meeting, the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission was provided a comprehensive summary on a survey conducted around the 2019 Nest Predator Bounty Program. The independent survey was conducted by Responsive Management and revealed that 83% of the general public supported the operation of the Nest Predator Bounty Program. The full report is available on the GFP website.
With this information, and recognizing the Department of Game, Fish and Parks wishes to conduct the Nest Predator Bounty Program in 2020, the commission adopted a resolution to propose the following for public consideration:
• An expenditure for five dollars per tail, not to exceed $250,000 for the bounty of nest predators.
• Participants under the age of 18 and landowners harvesting nest predators from their own land will not be required to have a license. All other participants must have a hunting, fishing, or furbearer license.
• The Nest Predator Bounty Program shall be operated from April 1 to July 1, 2020, to coincide with the primary nesting season of pheasants, ducks, and other ground nesting birds.
• The method of take is expanded to include shooting of nest predators in addition to trapping.
After considering comments, the commission will determine if there will be a 2020 Bounty Program and, if so, lay out the final parameters at the March 5, 2020 commission meeting as well as a method to identify and monitor goals of the program. Some of these goals include but are not limited to:
• Remove up to 50,000 nest predators from the landscape;
• Increase furbearer license sales by 5 percent;
• Double participation in ETHICS SD;
• Have 20 percent of bounty participants be under the age of 18.
To comment in person, the public hearing will be held March 5 at 2 p.m. CST at the Ramkota Convention Center in Pierre. Individuals can comment online at gfp.sd.gov/forms/positions or mail comments to 523 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre, SD 57501. To be included in the public record and to be considered by the commission, comments must include a full name and city of residence and meet the submission deadline of 72 hours before the public hearing (not including the day of the public hearing).
View All News