Live Trap Giveaway Program
This effort is directly tied to the department’s 2016-2020 strategic plan to increase trapping awareness and outreach as trapping license sales have decreased dramatically over the past 20 years.
By tackling this issue head-on, GFP hopes to increase participation in trapping from all ages while at the same time, reducing localized populations of nest predators (raccoon, striped skunk, badger, opossum, and red fox) as a way to increase pheasant and duck nest success.
Trapping efforts should occur in or directly adjacent to quality nesting habitat and be focused during the primary nesting season (April 1 through August 31). However, the trapping season for these five nest predators is open year-round.
- Must be a resident of South Dakota.
- Limit of 5 traps per household.
- An online registration form will be available here on March 1, 2019.
- Once you have registered, a GFP representative will contact you for pick up.
- Live traps will not be available until after April 1, 2019.
- Live traps should be used for the purposes of predator control near nesting habitat.
- Live traps cannot be sold, bartered, or traded.
- No license required if you are under the age of 16 years old.
- No license required if you are a landowner trapping on property they own/operate.
- No furbearer license is required during the period of April 1 – August 31.
- You must still have a resident hunting license to trap during this time. A license could include a small game hunting license or combination hunting and fishing license or a resident big game tag like turkey or deer.
- Participants must follow all trapping rules and regulations.
Note: Please be aware that your patience is kindly appreciated in the roll out of this program as the number of live traps available is limited by manufacturing. Live traps will not be available until after April 1, 2019. If you no longer need the live traps you received, please return them to a local GFP office for others to use.