100 Years of Tradition
Throughout 2018 and 2019, the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks will be celebrating 100 Years of Tradition. In 1918, South Dakota established its’ first pheasant hunting season which was held in Spink County in 1919. Also, in 1919, Custer State Park was named the first official state park.
In South Dakota, we know that traditions come in all forms of outdoor recreation. Over the next two years, we will highlight our hunting, camping and outdoor recreational traditions as well as yours, but also focus on where we all want to go in the next 100 years.
2018 National Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic
To kick things off, we will showcase the 100 Years of Tradition campaign at the 2018 National Pheasant Fest and Quail Classic in Sioux Falls, February 16-18, 2018.
- Find us in the concourse and at Booth 1706.
- Explore our new site and download our mobile app. We want to know what you think!
- Purchase a 2018 hunting and fishing license or park entrance license.
- Snap a photo with our airstream trailer decked out with vintage gear.
- Stop by for your chance to win a commemorative hat and other prizes!
#MySDTradition will focus on the outdoor opportunities that provide us all with great memories of the past.
As we reach 100 years of pheasant hunting and state parks in South Dakota, we encourage our recreational users, residents and nonresidents, to take us for a trip down memory lane.
Look through the photo books and boxes to share memories and traditions on social media using #MySDTradition. And as you look forward to the next 100 years of outdoor recreation, what will those new traditions look like? It is never too early to start them - and we want you to take us with you - using #MySDTradition.
New Brew Competition
Attention all South Dakota Breweries - we need your help! Please join us as we look to honor the past and celebrate the future with a new brew.
A few more details you need to know:
- Contest Rules and Official Entry Form - see Related Documents at the bottom of the page.
- Entry forms are due May 1 and should be submitted via email to Lynn.Spomer@state.sd.us.
- Later this year, all brews will be judged publically with the winner announced during the 2019 Tourism Conference.
- Branding and taste …. It’s up to you! Wow us with the taste of tradition and the excitement for the future.
- But most of all, we want to focus on the close relationship with nature, strong ties to community and how the outdoors play a strong role in our next 100 years and yours.
We Want to Give Away a Camper
Attention all South Dakota RV Industry Partners - we need your help too!
A Request for Proposals just hit the streets and we are requesting a donation of a new camper to be given away in 2019. We want to develop a new partnership and with that come new benefits to the RV industry as well from co-branding and marketing efforts, special event recognition, new audiences and so much more!
This camper can be of any style or value, but must be new. See additional proposal requirements and analysis guidelines below.
All proposals need to be in sealed envelopes and delivered to Lynn.Spomer@state.sd.us no later than April 15, 2018. Mail proposals to: Lynn Spomer | SD State Parks | 523 East Capitol Avenue | Pierre, SD 57501.