Fish Consumption Advisories
The purpose of this information is not to discourage you from eating fish. It is intended as a guide to help you select sizes and species of fish that are low in mercury. By following these recommendations, you and your family can continue to enjoy the benefits of eating fish.
The South Dakota Departments of Health, Environment and Natural Resources along with Game, Fish and Parks cooperate to test fish for metals, pesticides and PCBs.
Waters with advisories:
- Department of Health Fish Advisories >
- This list is the most current fish consumption advisories for the State of South Dakota.
- A complete list of water bodies tested in SD is available on the SD Dept. of Environment & Natural Resources website.
For More Information:
- More information pertaining to mercury and fish consumption is available by calling the Department of Health at 605.773.3364.
- More information about "why mercury is a problem and where does it come from" can be found at USGS Mercury In the Environment.