Volunteer at SD State Parks
Protecting, managing and interpreting South Dakota's natural lands and wildlife is no small task. Each year, hundreds of people donate their time and talents to do just that as volunteers in the South Dakota State Parks.
Individuals, couples and families of all ages, as well as service groups and clubs are needed for worthwhile and fun projects. Whether you can spend a few minutes, hours, days, or months, a volunteer experience can be tailored to meet your interests.
- On-site volunteers are provided a campsite during their service. The majority of volunteer sites are full hook-up (water, sewer and electric). Some are electric-only with water and a dump station nearby. Please indicate your preference on your application.
- Volunteers provide their own housing and personal items.
- Service is purely volunteer. You will not be paid.
Work Schedule / Duties
- On-site volunteers are required to serve a minimum of 24 hours per person per week. If more is needed, it will be agreed on by the park manager and the volunteer in advance.
- Commuter and special event volunteers are not typically provided a campsite and service is on an as-needed basis.
- Most work takes place on the weekends.
- Schedules are normally fairly flexible. The exact schedule will be agreed on by the park manager and the volunteer.
- Duties vary by position and from park to park. General descriptions can be found on the current openings page. Exact duties will be described by the park manager during the interview.
- If uniforms are required, they will be provided.
Positions for 2016 will be listed Oct. 1, 2015.
Please fill out one application per person.
- Fill out your application as completely as possible. More information will help us place you in the right position.
- Applications are accepted year-round for current positions. Positions open in October for the following summer season.
- Most positions run mid-May to mid-Sept. Some positions can start as early as April and run through October. Custer State Park also has needs for winter/spring volunteers. Please indicate your availability on your application.
- As little as one month of service is considered. Preference is given to volunteers that can serve several months or have previous volunteer experience.
- Individuals and couples are considered for each of the positions.
- All applicants offered a position must pass a criminal background check. We cover all associated costs.
523 E. Capitol Avenue
Pierre, SD 57501
Sign up for our State Parks Volunteer Info email newsletter to receive reminders when applications are accepted each year and recent openings.