French Creek Horse Camp (Equestrian use only)
Only horse camp in Custer State Park
Located on the banks of French Creek, the French Creek Horse Camp is designed specifically for campers with horses. One corral comes with each campsite, and one additional corral is available to rent upon arrival at the campground.
Safety / Restrictions
Open fires are strictly prohibited.
Only one camping unit per site is allowed.
Be aware of the dangers of bison, rattlesnakes, and poison ivy. Bison are extremely dangerous. Do not feed horses at night. Be prepared for creek crossings, steep rocky climbs, and inclement weather.
Horses brought in from out of state require:
- Health certificate within the last 30 days
- Negative Coggins or ELISA EIA test within the last 12 months
- Native horses from North Dakota
- Suckling colts traveling with a mare can travel on the mare's negative test
- Colts traveling without the mare must have a negative test regardless of age.
SD law requires anyone transporting horses out of the ownership inspection area to have their horses inspected by a Brand Inspector. Contact: SD Brand Board 1.800.529.2333, visit their website for more information or see the campground host.
South Dakota State Brand Board
Weed Free Hay
Certified Weed Free Hay available at Blue Bell Stables. Please call Blue Bell Stables at 605.255.4700 for more information.
Keep your horse confinement area clean. Picketing and portable corrals are not allowed. Electric fence is permitted in a designated area.
Horses cannot be left unattended overnight.
A person may not transport or possess any forage used to feed recreational livestock while in Custer State Park unless the forage has attached to it a tag or seal issued through the South Dakota Department of Agriculture or another state that certifies the forage to be free of nonnative plant species. 41:03:01:27
Facilities / Services
- Campsite details
- Camping Cabins
- Corrals (limit 2 per campsite)
- Water for horses: available in French Creek
Sanitation / Water
- Dump Station
- Flush toilets and showers
- Vault Toilet
- Drinking Water
- Blue Bell Lodge & Resort (3 miles)
- Laundry facilities
- General store