governor's Pheasant habitat work group
Huron, SD - December 6, 2013
Pheasant Habitat Summit Information
Pheasant Habitat Work Group Meeting Summaries
- Meeting #1 - February 28, 2014
- Meeting #2 - April 7, 2014
- Meeting #3 - May 5, 2014
- Meeting #4 - June 9, 2014
- Meeting #5 - July 11, 2014
- Meeting #6 - July 28, 2014
- Meeting #7 - August 13, 2014
- Meeting #8 - August 20, 2014
Habitat Program Requests
Pheasant Habitat Work Group Members Selected
PIERRE, S.D. - Gov. Dennis Daugaard today announced the members of a work group tasked with examining strategies for developing pheasant habitat in South Dakota.
The pheasant habitat work group continues the efforts Gov. Daugaard began last month with the first ever Governor's Pheasant Habitat Summit in Huron.
"Pheasant habitat and agriculture enjoy a symbiotic relationship in South Dakota," Gov. Daugaard said. "The work group will look for practical ways we can solidify our status as the world's greatest pheasant hunting destination while supporting agriculture - our number one industry."
The thirteen pheasant habitat work group members are:
- Pam Roberts, Pierre (Chair) - retired Secretary of SD Department of Labor and Regulation
- Barry Dunn, Brookings - dean, College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences at South Dakota State University
- Tim Kessler, Aberdeen - Pheasants Forever Board of Directors, former Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission chair
- Mary Duvall, Pierre - District 24 state representative
- Jason Frerichs, Wilmot - farmer, Senate Minority Leader, District 1 state senator
- John Cooper, Pierre - GFP commissioner, former GFP Secretary
- Steve Halverson, Kennebec - farmer, owner of Halverson Hunts
- Jan Nicolay, Chester - former state representative, conservation advocate
- Jeff Zimprich, Huron - USDA-NRCS state director
- Doug Deiter, Faulkton - farmer
- Jeff Vonk, Pierre - GFP Secretary
- Lucas Lentsch, Pierre - SD Secretary of Agriculture
- Nathan Sanderson, Pierre - Governor's policy advisor for agriculture and GFP
The pheasant habitat work group will develop recommendations to the Governor that focus on practical solutions for maintaining and improving pheasant habitat.
The work group will meet periodically through June, with a final report completed in late summer 2014.
Members of the public may submit ideas for encouraging pheasant habitat development to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by telephone at 605.223.7660. All submissions will be considered by the work group.
Jeff Vonk - Secretary, South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks
Governor Dennis Daugaard
history of pheasants
Tony Leif - Director, Wildlife Division of South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks
south dakota land use
Barry Dunn, Ph. D. - South Dakota Corn Utilization Council Endowed Dean, SDSU College of Agriculture and Biological Sciences
modern agricultural production
Bruce Knight - Principle and Founder, Strategic Conservation Solutions, LLC
Dave Nomsen - VP of Governmental Affairs, Pheasants Forever
pheasant hunting and tourism
Jim Hagen - Secretary, South Dakota Department of Tourism
Moderated by Lucas Lentsch - Secretary, South Dakota Department of Agriculture