VOLUNTEER - Outdoor Campus East
To assist education coordinator/naturalist and naturalist interns with school, preschool and youth group programs.
- Attend education assistant orientation.
- Help naturalists set up educational materials and classroom space before field trips and clean up and put away materials afterwards.
- Greet arriving groups with a smile, and send them off with a wave.
- Assist with supervision of children during hikes and activities.
- Provide additional positive attention and encouragement to children during activities.
- Some programs require an education assistant to lead a simple "station" activity with a small group of children, usually an identification game or simple nature craft. Volunteers will learn about these activities at the education assistant orientation.
A love for children and the out-of-doors.
- A friendly, outgoing manner. Able to work with energetic children.
- Flexibility to "go with the flow" as is often required during these dynamic programs.
- Our classes are "programmed for fun", so education assistants need to be able to have fun along with the kids. The kids will only enjoy the field trip as much as the leaders do!
- You do not need to be an expert in outdoor skills or natural history knowledge. We will teach you what you need to know!
- Education Assistant Orientation.
- Work a minimum of 4 programs/season. (An all-day field trip counts as 2 programs.) You are welcome to volunteer more!
- Volunteers needed for both week-day and weekend programs.