VOLUNTEER - Outdoor Campus East
Butterfly and Caterpillar Care
Purpose: To care for the various stages of butterflies, moths and host plants that are in on display.
- Collect milkweed from our garden or from fields in the Sioux Falls area.
- Scan milkweed leaves for eggs or larvae.
- Care for butterfly eggs, larvae, chrysalis and adults. May care for moths as well.
- Release adults as needed.
- Tag monarchs in the fall.
- Care of any nectar plants that may be needed for the adults.
- Attend a butterfly care class to learn proper handling procedures.
- Ability to walk in the fields if interested in collecting milkweed, eggs, larvae or tag monarchs in the fall.
- Specific commitment to care for butterflies on a regular basis.
- Able to gently handle the small eggs and larvae.
- Able to gently handle larvae, chrysalis and adults.
- Provide care of host plants that are part of the display.
- Volunteer Orientation.
- Butterfly Care Class-length of class approximately one hour. Will be held as needed to provide adequate care for our butterflies.
- Field training will be provided while collecting the specimens or tagging of the monarchs in the fall.
- A minimum of 2-3 hour shift per month. Prefer a weekly commitment.
- Need to care for the butterflies before noon if possible so they have time to digest their food before evening.