State-wide Critter Crates
These crates are sponsored by SD Game, Fish and Parks and The Outdoor Campus.
The Outdoor Campus has several critter crates available to teachers. Crates contain artifacts and some suggested activities. $75.00 deposit - returned when crate and contents returned. Crates can be mailed in South Dakota only. Call 605.362.2777 to reserve a crate or e-mail. The types of crates and the policies concerning the crates are listed below.
- Crates A & B
Both contain a variety of materials pertaining to different animals. Skulls, Furs, etc.
Crate (A) Inventory
Crate (B) Inventory
- Bird Box - NEW!
Contains a feather activity kit, replicas of bird beaks and feet, posters, books, identification guides and bird song books.
Bird Box Photo
- Land Navigation Crates (GPS) 1 & 2 - NEW!
Each of the GPS crates contains 8 Etrex Legend Personal Navigators with operation instructions. The Forms and Inventory Packet in each crate also contains "how to" information, activities for GPS units, and charts showing correlations to South Dakota's curriculum content standards. Reserve one or both crates for a two-week period.
GPS Crate 1 Photo
GPS Crate 2 Photo
- Endangered Species Crate
Focuses on endangered species. Consists mostly of items made from endangered species, and confiscated by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.
Endangered Species Crate Photo
- Coyote Crate
Contains furs, scat, tracks, skulls, books, and activities.
Coyote Crate Photo
- Beaver Crate
Contains furs, scat, tracks, materials to dress someone up as a beaver, support materials.
Beaver Crate Photo
- Bat Crate
Contains an echo-locator, and bat-related materials for educators.
Bat Crate Photo
- Prairie/Grasslands Crate
Multi-disciplinary education trunk with lessons, teacher guides, pelts, skulls, scat, posters, puppets, felt story boards, rubber stamps and ink, videos, books and a buffalo costume.
Prairie Crate Photo
- Tree Trunk
The Tree Trunk contains kits, activity books, audio visual materials, field guides, fiction and non-fiction books, tree cookies, and leaf samples that teach about trees, plants, wildflowers, and birds.
Tree Trunk Photo
Sioux Falls Area Critter Crates
These crates can only be used in the Sioux Falls area. Anyone can use them. A $75 deposit is required before the crate will go out. Call 605.362.2777 to reserve a crate or e-mail. The types of crates and the policies concerning the crates are listed below.
- Wetlands Trunk
Contains games, activities, puzzles, music, posters and a script for a puppet play with puppets of a blue heron, a muskrat and a salamander.
Wetlands Trunk Photo
- Snowshoe Crates
The Outdoor Campus received a grant through the SD Department of Health to purchase snow-shoes that could be used by youth groups. The purpose of this grant was to encourage physical activity in our youth. Snowshoeing is a great way to stay active in winter! Following is all the information you need to check out snowshoes for use for your group.
Cost: Free! A $75 deposit, in the form of a check written to The Outdoor Campus, is required when picking up the snowshoe crate. We will not cash this check if all snowshoes are returned in good condition.
Shipping: We do not mail snowshoe crates. You must arrange to pick them up and drop them off during open building hours.
There must be at least 3 inches of snow on the ground in order to check out a crate.
Group Snowshoe Crates (2)
- 11 pairs youth/small adult snowshoes
- 6 pairs of adult snowshoes
- 1 pair of snowshoeing poles
- 1 snowshoeing lesson plan
- 32 snowshoeing handouts
- 1 snowshoe crate evaluation form
- 1 snowshoe book
Family Snowshoe Crates (2)
- Each crate contains 4 adult-size snowshoes and 4 youth-size snowshoes
Snowshoe Crate Photo
South Dakota Natural Resource Crates from other Places
These crates are located in various spots around the state. Contact information is supplied with each location.
- South Dakota; around the state
-1 Passport to Fishing and Boating crate, perfect for an outdoor event. Contact Maggie Lindsey for check out information 605.223.7667.
- 4 warm season fishing crates, 1 ice fishing crate. Contact Maggie Lindsey for check out information 605.223.7667.
- 1 No Child Left Inside crate, loaded with basic equipment for outdoor explorations. Contact Maggie Lindsey for check out information 605.223.7667.
- 1 elk trunk, 1 bat trunk. Contact Laurie Root for check out information 605.394.5362
- Ferret Mini-Kit Contains slide show on Black Footed Ferret, classroom fact sheets, CD-Rom of slide show, and binder of activities for teachers. Contact Maggie Lindsey for check out information 605.223.7667.
- Waubay, South Dakota
-Wonderful Traveling Wetland Trunk: Puppets, puzzles, plant and wetland info, furs, videos, educators guide. Contact Laura Hubers at Waubay National Wildlife Refuge, 605.947.4521, for further information or to reserve a two week time slot.
- Madison, South Dakota
-Prairie Trunk - multi-disciplinary education trunk with lessons, teacher guides, pelts, skulls, track molds, scat, posters, puppets, felt story boards, rubber stamps and ink, videos, books and a buffalo costume.
- Wetland Trunk - Trunk includes several games, including "Amphibian Trivia," survival game "Hazards in a Duck's Life", puppet show, track match game, wetland habitat and plant puzzle with match cards, pelt ID, skulls, scat, videos, books, BINGO, beaver costume, plus more. Both trunks are available free of charge. Contact Jennifer Briggs at the Madison Wetland Management District 605.256.2974.
- Black Hills Area
-Cougar Crate: Contains furs, skulls, and other artifacts. Also includes books, videos, posters, etc. Supplies are also included to teach activities included in the WILD About Mountain Lions Curriculum and Activity Guide.This crate is only available in the Black Hills area and must be picked up & dropped off at the Rapid City regional office during business hours. A $75 deposit is required. Contact Laurie Root at 605.394.5362.
The Outdoor Campus has several different posters available for classroom use, including South Dakota Bats, Fish, Prairies, and "For the Birds," a poster featuring the birds of South Dakota.