purchase or apply for a license
General hunting/fishing licenses; such as fishing, small game, combination, furbearer, predator/varmint or migratory bird are available in unlimited quantities and are sold through over 400 agent locations across the state. They can also be purchased online.
Deer, antelope, elk, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, turkey, nonresident waterfowl and paddlefish licenses are issued through a lottery application process.
carry your license on your smartphone device
- Before heading into the field this fall, log into your GFP online licensing account from your smartphone device to view your small game, fishing or trapping license and take a picture or screenshot of it with your device (Android, iPhone, etc.).
This electronic version is now an acceptable method of carrying a small game, fishing or trapping license. If you choose to print and carry a paper copy of your small game, fishing or trapping license, that continues to be an allowed practice. Learn more.
A Crossbow/Draw-lock Permit is available to any person who is permanently incapable of using a bow and arrow due to the loss of or use of one or both arms, caused by birth defect, injury, disease, or who is confined to a wheelchair.
disabled hunter permit
A Disabled Hunter Permit authorizes qualifying individuals with disabilities to lawfully shoot game animals from a stationary motor vehicle. This includes big game animals such as deer, antelope, elk, and turkey and small game animals such as grouse, pheasants, partridge, rabbits and waterfowl.
Disabled veteran permit
- South Dakota residents, who qualify and are approved, are issued a Disabled/Veteran Hunting and Fishing Card for $10. Please complete and submit the Disabled Veterans Application.
- South Dakota residents, who qualify and are approved, are issued a Developmentally Disabled Fishing Card for $10. Please complete and submit theTotal Disability Application.
designated shooter permit
- A Designated Shooter Permit is one that the applicant may designate to legally hunt or take game on their behalf.
Nursing Facility Group Fishing License
- Nursing homes applying for this license should send a request on their company letterhead to the Licensing Office, 20641 SD Hwy 1806, Ft. Pierre, SD 57532. The letter must contain the Nursing Home state-issued license number for the facility and the number of beds in the facility. This does not apply to staff of the nursing home. Cost of the license is $35.