SM Link

nonresident waterfowl

Fall South Dakota nonresident waterfowl licenses are limited in number and distributed by a lottery drawing. Hunters must submit an application and fee, either online or by paper application via mail.

  • Applicants must be a minimum of age 12, or will turn 12 by December 31, to be eligible for the drawing.
  • Hunters over age 15 must have the federal Waterfowl Stamp in possession to be legal.
  • The application process and the license issued include the Migratory Bird Certification privileges.
  • A separate nonresident small game license is required to hunt small game, such as pheasants and grouse.

The dates, unit boundaries and bag limits for this season are set in late July.

Applicants may receive:

  • No more than one Nonresident Waterfowl License before Nov. 1.
  • Beginning Nov. 1, there is no limit to the number of Nonresident Waterfowl Licenses a hunter may possess.
  • Applicants are also eligible for one Nonresident September Canada Goose license, which does not count against the harvest limit of regular Nonresident Waterfowl licenses.
  • Season Dates:
    Nonresident Waterfowl- See application for specific details -

Nonresident waterfowl unit maps