get outta the truck
Hunting is a privilege. Our focus here is to honor the hunt by being ethical and safe.
Get out of your truck when hunting. Leave your vehicle behind and walk to pursue your deer, antelope or whatever game you have your sights on. Hunting big game from your vehicle leaves tread marks all over the spirit of fair chase and ethical hunts. It is poor form and a terrible example to set for the future generations of South Dakota hunters.
Spending the day hiking, stalking, walking or sitting in South Dakota's outdoors is the true trophy.
Hunting from a vehicle is unethical, and dangerous:
- In the past 10 years, South Dakota has had 30 vehicle-related hunting accidents. Many of those involved having a loaded firearm in a moving vehicle.
- It is legal in South Dakota to have a loaded and uncased firearm in your vehicle. If you chose to do so, please be cautious and safe.
Legal implications of hunting from a vehicle:
- 41:06:04:06. Use of vehicle/boat to disturb or chase big game/small game - $160
- 41-8-37. Shooting from motor vehicle at big game/small game - $195 and loss of hunting privileges for a year.
- 41-9-1.2. Shooting at big game from road - $195 and loss of hunting privileges for a year.
It's Hard to Forget That Day
Lon Reidburn, from Clark, South Dakota, used to be a deer hunter... USED to be a deer hunter. Then one day, the day he'll never forget, it happened. Please take the time to watch this interview as Lon tries to explain why you owe it to yourself, family and friends to "Get Outta The Truck".