A statewide season offers an unlimited number of licenses. Special restrictions apply to mountain lion hunting in Custer State Park. See mountain lion application for further details and current hunting restrictions.
The statewide license is sold throughout the season.
- Season Dates:
- Statewide: Year-round on land that is located outside of the Black Hills Fire Protection District.
- Black Hills (Within Black Hills Fire Protection District):
Dec. 26, 2015-March 31, 2016 or until harvest limit has been reached.
- Available to South Dakota residents only.
- 2016 Season Dates TBD
- 2016 Mountain Lion Application
- Application Requirements
- Apply for Free Access Permits to Custer State Park
- Apply Online
Reporting a Mountain Lion Kill
All harvested mountain lions must be presented to a GFP representative for inspection within 24 hours of harvest.
- Mountain lions harvested in the Black Hills must be reported to GFP personnel, and checked in at the Rapid City GFP Regional Office (4130 Adventure Trail at the site of the Rapid City Outdoor Campus) or the park headquarters at Custer State Park.
- Hunters who are successful in taking a mountain lion must call the GFP Regional Office at 605.394.2391, or CSP office headquarters at 605.225.4515, during weekday office hours (8 a.m.-5 p.m.), or call State Radio at 605.393.8121 during nights and weekends.
- Arrangements can then be made to have a GFP representative meet the hunter at the Rapid City GFP Office or the headquarters at Custer State Park.
- Individuals who take mountain lions outside of the Black Hills must contact a Conservation Officer or other GFP representative within 24 hours of kill to arrange for inspection of the carcass.