The limited population of bighorn sheep in the Black Hills offers South Dakota residents an opportunity to take part in a unique hunt.
There are two areas outside of Custer State Park open to hunting. The season within the park has been closed for the past few years after the herd was decimated by an outbreak of pneumonia.
The traditional hunting unit is Pennington County west of SD Highway 79. The other unit is Custer County west of SD Highway 79.
- Season Dates:
Big Horn Sheep - 2014 Season TBD-
Draft Action Plan for Management of Bighorn Sheep in South Dakota (2013) - This action plan provides important information for the formulation of sound management, to include the current status of bighorn sheep herds, habitat potential for new sheep areas, issues and concerns, management goals, objectives and strategies to guide management of this important resource into the future.
- Provide feedback on this plan (comments must be received by February 15, 2013)
- Big Horn Sheep Application
(Available - May )
(First Deadline - May 16 )
- Apply Online
- Drawing Results
- Past Drawing Statistics
- Public Hunting Areas
- Big Game Regulations
- Request information be mailed
- View all applications / deadlines
- Bighorn Sheep Disease Management and Risk Brochure
- Secondary Fence Program for Domestic Sheep and Goats