- Bird watching in South Dakota
- Osprey recovery in SouthEast South Dakota
- Bird Banding at Farm Island and Fisherman Point, Pierre, SD
- Barn Owl
- Burrowing Owl
- Black Hills American Dipper
- Passenger Pigeon
Request a copy of the following publications
- The Fledgling Birder booklet - This resource will help new birdwatchers learn how to identify birds by focusing on size, shape, markings and other tips to get started. The booklet also features a list of common birds and a list of good birding sites.
- Backyard Birds of South Dakota booklet - From the widespread black-capped chickadee to the more unusual gray-crowned rosy-finch, South Dakota wildlife watchers will find color photos and descriptions of nearly 80 species in a new guide to birds that may visit backyards or small properties.
- Owls of South Dakota booklet - This booklet features color photos and a description of all thirteen species of owls known to occur in South Dakota. A summary of habitat, habits, distribution, and life history is included.
- Great Lakes of SD birding trail
- Southeast SD birding trail
- Glacial Lakes and Prairies birding trail
- Black Hills & Badlands Birding Trail - If you would like one mailed to you, email us.
SD Birding Trails Map
Grouse of Plains and Mountains, The South Dakota Story
Available for sale online... This book was written to foster increased interest and appreciation of the four grouse species and associated habitats in South Dakota. Grouse enthusiasts, biologists, hunters, and bird watchers will appreciate the history, ecology, and management of South Dakota grouse while enjoying the 246 page book filled with colored photos.
The Wild Turkey in South Dakota
Available for sale online... Wild turkeys were not always as abundant as they currently are in South Dakota. Efforts to restore populations of wild turkeys into and beyond their historical distribution in the state have proven successful beyond imagination. The Wild Turkey in South Dakota not only documents this fascinating history, it also is an important source of information on the description, behavior, ecology and management of wild turkeys in South Dakota.