Fees & reservations
Reservation Center: 1.800.710.CAMP (2267) | www.campsd.com
As of January 1, 2016 there is a $2 fee for reservations made through the call center.
Reservations can be made by calling the reservation center at 1.800.710.CAMP (2267) or online at www.campsd.com. Several sites may be reserved with a single call, but payment of all fees for all sites is required before a confirmation is made. Sorry, no checks.
Individual sites become available both online and through the call center at 7 a.m. CT on the first day of the 90-day window. After the 90-day window has opened, reservations can be made 24 hours a day.
Call Center Hours
The call center is open 24 hours a day / seven days a week.
There is a $7.70 per site non-refundable reservation fee (not applicable to South Dakota residents).
If two camping units share a designated double-up site, each unit must pay the camping fee. A camping unit is a powered vehicle, motor home, camping bus, pull-type camper, tent or any other device designed for sleeping. Additional tents for a family (parents or grandparents and their unmarried minor children) are considered a single camping unit. The double-up fee is paid upon arrival to the park. Not all campsites allow double-ups. Check with the park.
Camping fees must be paid when reservations are made. Credit card or gift cards are accepted. Only one payment is accepted for multiple-site reservations. Sorry, no checks.
Campsites and cabins at Custer State Park can be reserved one year in advance. Campsites and cabins at all other parks can be reserved 90 days in advance.
Campsites & Picnic Shelters
Campsite and picnic shelter reservations are accepted within 90 days of your arrival (except at Custer).
Unoccupied Reserved Sites
Campers who have made a reservation are permitted to arrive at any time during their reservation. This may result in some sites remaining empty for a period of time. The park is obligated to hold a reserved site until a cancellation is made. We thank you for your understanding when you see unoccupied reserved sites.
Same Day Reservations
A same day reservation is similar to first-come, first-served camping, but it allows campers to call or go online to instantly know if they have a campsite, saving them a trip to the park. This system is used at the Yankton Campground at Lewis and Clark Recreation Area and at Center Lake Campground at Custer State Park.
- Open sites can be reserved beginning at 7 a.m. CT on the day of arrival online or by calling 1.800.710.2267.
- A same day reservation can be made for a maximum 14-night stay.
- Campers are required to place their camping unit on, and to occupy their campsite by 10 p.m. of the first night of their reserved stay. If they fail to do so, they will be charged one night's camping fee and forfeit the remainder of their reservation.
- A camper who wishes to extend their stay (for up to a 14-night maximum stay) on a same day reservation site must call the reservation center before midnight CT on the day prior of departure, or they will have to compete for their site with other campers the following morning at 7 a.m. CT.
- Checkout is 4 p.m. CT for campsites at Lewis and Clark and noon (MT) for campsites at Custer State Park.
- A three-night stay is required for holiday weekends (Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day)
First-Come, First-Served Camping
(No Reservations Accepted)
Lake Louise offers a portion of their campsites on a first-come, first-served basis.
Cancelling a Reservation
Cancellations can be made by calling 1.800.710.2267. Reservations for cabins, lodges and picnic shelters must be made by midnight two days before you arrive. Campsite reservations are available 24 hours a day.
A cancellation fee equal to one night's camping will be charged for each campsite reserved if you cancel your reservation, either through the reservation center or after arriving at the park. The following cancellation fees apply:
- Campsite: One night's camping
- Camping cabin: $25
- Lodge: 30 or more days in advance: $25; less than 30 days in advance, $25 per night
- Large Groups: One night's stay for each campsite cancelled.
- Cancellations at French Creek Horse Camp in Custer State Park:
- Cancellations made 30 days or more before arrival are subject to a minimum 1 night camping fee
- Cancellations made within 15 to 29 days of scheduled arrival are subject to a penalty equal to 50% of the reservation fee.
- Reservations cancelled within 14 days prior to scheduled arrival date are non-refundable.
Changes in departure dates and full cancellations can be done through the call center, 1.800.710.2267. Cancellations to the beginning of a reservation are not allowed.