100 Years Scavenger Hunt
The hunt is over and winners have been drawn. Send your selfies in to collect the e-postcard.
Hiking Prize Package: backpack, binoculars, field guides, water bottle and a walking stick
1. Where a child's words in a Diary come to life.
2. This massive tree allows you to climb, swing, slide or bounce in the outdoors.
3. A beautiful and peaceful place to look at the Mighty Mo.
4. You are right on target.
5. One room full of education.
Water Recreation Prize Package: One inflatable tube set (2 person tube and 2 single tubes) and 2 O'Neill Life Vests (size Large)
1. I am located at the highest elevation inside the Recreation Area.
You must take several steps to get to my location.
Angostura Dam can be seen from here.
Narratives of Angostura Dam history and other information about natural resources can be found here.
From my location you can see the Inferno Restaurant.
2. I am located at a new facility in 2019.
It is an easy walking distance from shelter #2 and Hobie Beach.
People might gather here for lunch.
I have a fantastic view of Angostura Reservoir.
From this location looking north you can see the break water.
3. I am in an area that has mowed lanes.
You can come here to T off.
This area has 9 baskets.
I am located in the extreme south end of this recreational feature.
4. I broadcast the name of the Recreation Area.
I am made of wood and steel.
I have rocks at my feet.
When you see me you are about to be welcome.
At my location I hear many rumbles.
5. You can pedal or hike to my location.
My timbers keep you from getting wet.
You will find air beneath your feet.
There is a rail to guide you.
No motor vehicles are allowed on me.
Prize Package: 1 year subscription to SD Magazine and a $50 gift certificate to Scheels.
1. This is the place where people shoot arrows, I am found at the entrance sign at this location.
2. I'm a cabin where a homesteader once lived; I am made out of timber from this area.
3. I'm an area where people can take their four legged friends for fun training. I am located off of Holly Boulevard.
4. This is the first building that park users first see when they arrive to the park. We have great staff to welcome you!
5. I can take you across the might Big Sioux River in the park.
Prize Package: 1 free night of camping, Fisher Grove Country Club golfing package (includes 18 holes and golf cart rental)
1. Where was the old comfort station and campground located?
2. What structure in the park was deemed unsafe for car/pick up traffic after the flood of 2011?
3. Where would you go to make a tee time to play a round of golf?
4. Where does the hiking trail start?
5. This structure in the park is used for picnics and gatherings in the summer and is used as a place for snowmobilers to warm up in the winter.
Camping Cooking Prize Package: includes camping stove, propane tank, hot sandwich maker, cast iron skillet and cookbooks
1. The bodies of the brave men and women of the Fort rest here, we hoep their souls have found peace in heaven.
2. To many I am plain and grey, yet if you look closely you may see garnet and citrine, amethyst and quartz, crystal points and obsidian, and maybe others who names are spoken hardly any more.
3. He who enters
Offers up hope
Saying words of encouragement Praying he lives to see another day.
It sometimes wasn't answered
Tomorrow wasn't always seen
At least the suffering was over
Leaving this earthly home for another one unseen.
"One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish. Have you ever seen a dog fish?" "No," I answered, "But this lake may find some catfish."
No rest for the wicked man, no comfy bed to lay his head. With only a signle window to look out, he has plenty of time to think about the evil things he did.
Where am I?
Where/What am I
Where/What am I?
Where are they?
What will I become?
Nature Prize Package: T-shirt, walking stick, journal, Good Earth Movie, backpack, water bottle, power bank, camera cell phone lens
1. A central spot to overlook the Big Sioux River into Iowa.
2. Mazho "Udo"-Maya"Pi-Good Earth State Park welcomes you.
3. A warm home to gather in from long ago.
4. Three oak sisters stand along the Basswood Trail.
5. This couple offers Peace and folklore stories to our visitors.
Campfire Cooking Prize Package: One 5 quart Dutch oven, 1 4 inch Dutch oven tool, 9 inch cast iron skillet, cast iron snack cooker, cast iron case care set and 2 light up campsite buckets
1. This is the final resting placef or some local pioneers.
While at this location, you'll have a beautiful view of the lake.
This spot is up on a hilli n the middle of native prairie.
No matter how strong you are, you won't be able to move this natural object.
You'll find this is the intersection of the Robar Trail and Aspen Springs Trail.
2. This oldie is made of logs.
Long ago, somebody lived in this.
This is one of two notable old trading posts located in the park.
This was originally constructed in the 1800's.
You'll find me located on the Robar Trail.
>3. You'll have to climb a lot of stairs to find me.
The trail to this location starts south of the picnic shelter.
People lived here 1000 years ago.
This location is one of the highest points in the park.
While here, you'll have an outstanding view of the lake and surrounding area.
4. When you're at this location, you'll know you're "here".
This is constructed out of wood and stone.
While here, you can salute our American flag.
There are multiple of these in the park, but only one has the marker.
I'm one of the first things you'll see in the park, just past the entrance booth.
5. Enjoy the most scenic trail in the park and you'll find the marker somewhere along Spink Creek, with its unique springs and "watefals".
Prize Package: Cedar Ridge 8 person (2 room) tent, Kelty rectangular 30 degree 6' sleeping bag, 1 High Peak camp cot, 1 wool blanket
1. This marker is located along a trail that is named after a majestic ird that has an 8 foot wingspan and which sometimes can be seen performing dramatic aerial courtship displays in which they fly to great heights.
2. If there ever was a black forest in the park this marker would be hidden in its depths. Located along a trail named after a bird that is associated with a favorite American holiday that is celebrated once a year.
3. This marker can be found along a trail that overlooks beauteous vistas, gets plenty of sunshine under a big sky and if we had a Mount Everest in the park this would be it. Hint: when you find this marker look to the SE for a good clue for Marker #5.
4. This marker is located on a short path that points to the rising sun from one of the three picnic shelters we have in the park. When you find it you can have a seat and take in a beautiful view of Indian Creek Bay.
5. No longer operational this old wind turbine was abandoned by the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers but still stands in the park today as a reminder of what can happen with budget cuts. Hint: refer to Marker #3 for the big clue.
Prize Package: One 3 month YMCA Membership, one 1 year Discovery Center Family Membership, $50 gift card to East Pierre Landscape
1. From a corner at the entrance, but past the causeway a rectangle with an island name. Don't go deep, but look slightly up...
2. From the point of hydration for both dogs and children, twist around twice and look north. It's home to the best seasonal bug catcher South Dakota has!
3. Follow the shore, 2 tracks down the current flow. Twist left on the 2nd opening to the living forest, look up and look forward. Pace yourself 200 yards (plus or minus) looking for a place to rest.
4. Follow the shore on the trail, watch for the last opening and go left. With Ft. Pierre to your back, keep it steady you're halfway. Keep your map handy and stay straight going right when ready. With several options to find where the wind made water and spun in a circle. With 4 legs, look up and see history and a future for energy!
5. On the trail back, you stay to the north and go north. When the trail lines with the shore at its narrowest point, look across the water and take a picture with you and the tallest structure in Pierre; 161ft to be exact.
Prize Package: Tent, sleeping bags, 2 night free camping, free weekend kayak rental, 4 bundles of firewood and Lake Herman coffee mug
1. A place in time where pioneers rest and lay their weary heads.
2. Throw it once, twice or more as it spins through the sky searching for the basket it calls home.
3. Water where frogs and turtles sun themselves, but is separate from the lake.
4. Take the view from up on the hill. Watch a sunset and rest on a bench.
5. Venture out on the water but don't forget to bring your paddles.
Prize Package: 2 all-day kayak rentals, disc golf set and a battery-operated lantern from Ace Hardware in Miller, SD
1. Your source for hot showers.
2. Been pumping water since 1954.
3. The sun helps to tell the time.
>4. Walk on water.
5. Sandy sunburns.
Yard Game Prize Package: giant Jenga, yard die, bocce ball
1. I washed up on shore in 2003, where oh where could this marker be?
2. Families gather here when it's hot, look around the bench for this marker spot.
3. Swing and horseshoes you will see, somewhere between them a marker will be.
4. Lights, Camera Action and Crafts, here is the start to this marker path.
5. You can find me...between sites 97 and 103.
Camping Weekend Prize Package: 2 nights free camping, 2 bundles of firewood, 1 day water rental (customer's choice), $100 gift card from Scheels, camping hammock and campfire cups
1. The journey I start ends where it begins. I share my name with a playful mammal. Its name? Here is a hint:When it finds something yummy it makes a meal on its tummy.
2. When it rains I take the stage.
Without me the river would rage.
I may look like a waterfall,
But I'm part of what makes the river stall.
3. I am a shelter from the waves.
To my south people like to boat.< br /> To my north people like to float.
4. I am surrounded on all sides.
By trees, campsites and slides.
The east is where I rest,
If you find yourself stressed,
Move north from me for fun,
Swinging or relaxing in the sun.
5. I am a place to prepare the day's catch.
Where am I? I'll never tell, but you can usually find me by my smell.
Prize Package: One 6 hour kayak/paddleboard rental, $25 to Anchor's Away Restaurant, $20 to Richmond Oasis Bar and Restaurant, Runnings assorted prizes involved with outdoor activities
1. Where is the start of the kid's nature trail?
2. Where is a good place to fish from?
3. Where is a good place to play while staying at or when visting the Mina campground area?
4. Where is a good spot to cool off on a hot day?
5. Where is an American flag located in the park?
Hiking Prize Package: backpack, water bottle, walking stick, binoculars and 1 Eagle book
1. At the entrance to the park, you may find some kings.
On a flower or flying through the air on their wings.
2. To find this location, you will have to go.
To the start of an Alley-bring a disc you can throw.
3. When you travel here, you may hear a shot
Hunters take aim and use brass at this spot.
4. At this busy place, you will get your wish
We guarantee here you'll always find a fish.
5. If looking for help, this site you should see-
The home of some helpers in Campground #3.
Prize Package: Framed Mark Anderson Print-frame made from wood taken from the Breastworks cabin. Two free nights of camping with use of 2 kayaks for the weekend. Print donated from the Oakwood Lakes Development Association
1. Evidence at this location shows that Oakwood Lakes could have been settled as early as 500 A.D.
2. On the north shores of Round Lake are remnants of a fort built in 1859.
3. This is a perfect "Spot" for a cabin.
4. Annual camporees used to be held in this location.
5. This location is a gerat place to catch a sunset or read about a popular legend of the area.
Prize Package: One day guided fishing trip for up to 3 individuals at Lake Poinsett. Guided by Dave Kimball with Set the Hook Co. and the Bladed Bouncer. Donated by Dave Kimball
1. I am a nice, small shelter that overlooks the King and Queen of Palisades State Park.
2. I am a small shelter that overlooks Split Rock Creek and I offer great views of the historic bridge.
3. Kids have fun when they are here, I am found in the campground.
4. I am located near the campground. If you come here on a weekend in the summer, you may learn interesting facts about nature.
5. I am located at one of the most popular places to visit in the park! I offer access for park guests to picnic, be by Split Rock Creek and enjoy the rock formations.
Campfire Cooking Prize Package: One 5 quart Dutch oven, 1 4 inch Dutch oven tool, 9 inch cast iron skillet, cast iron snack cooker, cast iron care set and 2 light up campsite buckets.
1. Fluttering, flying and flitting so free, from flower to sign is where you'll find me.
2. High or low, this is where I use my bow.
3. Climb up my steps and you will see, all of Pelican Lakes beautiful scenery.
4. What is black and white and read all over?
5. Take a hike on a horse or on a bike?
Prize Package: 10 foot blue Kayak (single seat, 1 paddle)
1. You might become out of breath, but the view will take your breath away.
2. You will think you can walk on water, but you will want to fish instead.
3. Birds! Trees! Bugs! Nature's hide and seek! Track and Kip will help you on the trail.
4. You won't get wet, but you might be hungry. Walk across this on the Ponderosa trail.
5. Speaking of getting wet, it is going to happen, no matter how careful you are.
Prize Package: One 6 hour kayak/paddleboard rental, $25 to Anchor's Away Restaurant, $20 to Richmond Oasis Bar and Resturant, Aberdeen Sport Recreation cleaning bucket for motorcycles, UTV, ATV, or boats.
1. Where is the original stone entrance monument?
2. Where does the second stone monument sit now after it was moved?
3. Where does the nature hiking trail start?
4. Where is a good area to catch fish in the Richmond campgrounds?
5. Where in the Richmond campgrounds is a good spot to attend a park program?
Prize Package: Green kayak, donated by Runnings in Belle Fourche, SD
1. Appropriately welcomes visitors to Rocky Point Recreation Area.
2. A place to let man's best friend run without constraints.
3. Practice your shot, but read the regulations first.
4. Find some shade and have a picnic on the East side of Rocky Point.
5. Recognize the symbols for USA and South Dakota; and enjoy the view of the Black Hills.
Prize Package: 10 foot blue Kayak (single seat, 1 paddle)
1. Before send the kids to bed, let them run instead. Jump and climb, swing and play and be a kid for one more day.
2. You can eat here, you can sleep here, heck you can even fish from here!
3. Lucky for us the Minnow with Gilligan and the Skipper hasn't gone aground here.
4. Up with the sun they might be, send them out to play. Jumping and climbing, giggling and laughing, while you prepare your coffe for the day.
5. Bring a tablecloth, bring some food. Plenty of room for all its true. Plus you get to enjoy the morning view.
Prize Package: Black and yellow mountain bike, 21 speed with front suspension, from Dunham sports
1. The stars are bright, the grass taste sweet and or a horse it can't be beat.
2. They say you have to start at the very beginning to understand why the water here bleeds.
3. One step, two step, three step and more, tomorrow you might be sore. But that's okay, that's alright, because the view of the falls is worth the flight.
4. Hurrah you did it! Hooray you survived! Now it's time to celebrate your walk and your climb!
5. The stones tell so much about the life of this family. May they rest in peace in this place of beauty.
Tent Camping Prize Package: One 8 person tent, 4 sleeping bags, cooler, a camping dishware set; donated by Northwest Supply in Lemmon; and a book on Hugh Glass
1. Fought a grizzly, overlooking the water.
2. Wood to stone, stone to shelter.
3. Water kept in store, released to spill.
4. A dam, a man, a town; lying beneath Old Glory.
5. Thundering herd; over the edge.
Tent Camping Prize Package: One 6 person tent and 4 sleeping bags
1. I hold things you have to row.
You may rent my items.
You can use the items I hold to float.
From my location you can take a bow and stern.
For access I am near the water.
2. I have a roof on my head.
My area has 11 non-electric camping sites.
I am near places where horses are held.
I display information and maps.
I am near a trail head.
3. I am located within the campground.
I hold things to burn.
My items cannot be used during a burn ban.
I can hold many bundles.
My items provide glowing entertainment.
4. There are elk antlers above my entrance.
I am not located at Sheps Canyon Lodge.
Stay right at the fork.
I am surrounded by boulders.
From here you have an awesome view of the reservoir.
5. I indicate current information about campfires.
I am on a steel post and 5 feet above the ground.
At my intersection people turn south to camp.
You can flip around.
Yard Game Prize Package: corn hole, ladder golf and bocce ball
1. You can see the Mighty Missouri River from here.
2. Let's say "I Do".
3. Gatherings happen here.
4. You'll have sand between your toes when you step on me.
5. Let's go fishing! Let's go tubing! Where do you put your boat into the water?
Fishing Prize Package: 2 poles, tackle box with supplies and 2 portable fishing chairs
1. Two famous men and their group passed this way.
They encountered new things throughout their day.
As you walk on this trail your senses will find.
The "delightful" times shared here are one of a kind.
2. This is not an area you can ride a horse.
You play a game here on a beautiful course.
It's a sport you play with a little white ball.
In all types of weather from spring to fall.
3. It's a safe place with fun things for kids to play.
With hours of entertainment throughout the day.
They can crawl, climb , slide or swing.
To see children outdoors-it's a beautiful thing.
4. Outdoor activities lead to this place.
In a boat, on the shore, in the wide open space.
With a rod and a reel you'll catch good things to eat.
Special memories to share make your visit complete.
5. A historic remnant of Springfield's past.
All that's left is the concrete that was cast.
Now it's used for sportsman sailors.
To park their fishing boats and trailers.
Prize Package: Custom corn hole set made by Uncle's Pro's
1. Go to when the pavement ends, and the point begins. Look for something that flashes at night, and that is taller than you!
2. Something grows purple and a place to be stored. Looking at Nature, if you are in the right season you will have a healthy snack.
3. When you add the first two campgrounds and get the last one equally, you are in the correct campground. Follow the one way and you will see an exit. Look for a tree of year round green in the middle you will find the answer.
4. Look for the cabins of comfort that are three in a row, when you head south with sand between your toes, you will find the edge of West Bend with prizes on mind.
5. Normally a trail of water leads you away from the river, plus the stories get larger and fish smell gets stronger.
Prize Package: Custom corn hole set made by Uncle Pro's
1. Come sit and read of the past. Learn about The Medicine Rock, Forest City, and the history of the Whitlock Bay Area.
2. Your path to fun times on the water as well as the bay's fishing utopia. It's for your convience and part of our courtesy.
3. Picture your tradition. Display and be proud of your catch of the day.
4. Chutes and ladders! Not the board game, but still hours of fun!
5. "Toes in the water, toes in the sand." Definitely one of the best places to be when the weather gets hot.