GFP News - July 6, 2015
- Outdoor Campus-West Hosts 4th Annual Outdoor University
- State Parks Host Tasty Events
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Friday July 6, 2015
CONTACT: Emily Kiel at Emily.Kiel@state.sd.us
Outdoor Campus-West Hosts 4th Annual Outdoor University
PIERRE, S.D. - Are you and your family interested in learning a new outdoor activity together? Here's your chance! The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks' (GFP) Outdoor Campus-West in Rapid City will host its fourth annual Outdoor University on Saturday, July 11, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. MDT.
"Outdoor University provides something for everyone," said Chad Tussing, director of the Outdoor Campus-West in Rapid City. "Individuals and families can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities no matter if they are an avid outdoors person or just getting started. Spend an hour or the whole day here."
Individuals and families can try canoeing, archery, air rifles, fishing, kayaking and fly casting. Attendees can also learn about how GFP manages the natural resources of western South Dakota at hands-on stations.
South Dakota Public Broadcasting is sponsoring a presentation by Emily Graslie, Rapid City native and star of the YouTube channel, The Brain Scoop. Emily's presentation starts at 11 a.m. and will highlight her experiences at the Field Museum of Natural History in Chicago.
A kids' area will feature soft target shooting and other fun outdoor games and crafts, including a giant yard mural. Several other organizations, such as Badlands National Park and The Museum of Geology, will have booths with activities as well.
For more information, call 605.394.2310 or visit www.outdoorcampus.org.
About the Outdoor Campus: The Outdoor Campus' mission is to provide education about outdoor skills, wildlife, conservation and management practices of South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks to all ages in order to preserve our outdoor heritage.
State Parks Host Tasty Events
PIERRE, S.D. -- As summer nears the half-way point, join South Dakota State Parks for outdoor food and fun! This weekend features outdoor cooking and Dutch oven demonstrations at a variety of state parks, alongside other nature and education programs.
- Pottery I and II -- Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 7 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Teeth, Jaws and Claws -- Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 1 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Outdoor Cooking from A to Z -- Oahe Downstream Recreation Area, Fort Pierre. 10 a.m. CT. Info: 605.223.7722
- Kayaking for Fun -- Randall Creek Recreation Area, Pickstown. 10 a.m. CT. Info: 605..487.7046
- Outdoor University -- Outdoor Campus West, Rapid City. 10 a.m. CT. Info: 605.394.2310
- Dutch Oven Cooking â€“ Fort Sisseton Historic State Park, Lake City. 3 p.m. CT. Info: 605.448.5474
- Halloween in July Campsite Decorating Contest -- Oakwood Lakes State Park, Bruce. 12:30 p.m. CT. Info: 605.627.5441
- Dutch Oven Gathering -- Big Sioux Recreation Area, Brandon. 3:30 p.m. CT. Info: 605.582.7243
- Dutch Oven 101 -- Union Grove State Park, Beresford. 3 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Nature Hunt -- Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 11 a.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Dutch Oven 101 -- Newton Hills State Park, Canton. 10 a.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- A Rocky Journey -- Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 4 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Our River -- Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 1 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- South Dakota Turtles -- Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 3 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
For a full schedule of events, details or to pre-register, go online to gfp.sd.gov.