GFP News - July 10, 2014
- 2014 Antelope and Early Fall Canada Goose Hunting Seasons Finalized; Fall Turkey Season Delayed
- South Dakota 2014 Waterfowl Hunting Seasons Proposed
2014 Antelope and Early Fall Goose Hunting Seasons Finalized; Fall Turkey Season Delayed
PIERRE, S.D. - The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission finalized the antelope and early fall Canada goose seasons at their July meeting in Fort Pierre.
The firearms antelope season will run from Oct. 4-19 and have 2,705 licenses available for residents and 61 licenses available for nonresidents. Tripp and Lyman counties as well as the Fort Pierre National Grasslands unit are closed for both firearms and archery antelope hunting this year.
The early fall Canada goose season will run from Sept. 1-30. The Commission adopted modifications to the boundaries of Unit 1 to include the portion of Perkins County west of S.D. Highway 75 and south of S.D. Highway 20 and expanded Unit 2 by adding all of Custer, Fall River and Pennington counties.
The Commission made an amendment to the fall turkey hunting season, delaying action until their August meeting.
The amendment would decrease the total number of fall turkey licenses any one hunter could have from 5 to 2.
The fall turkey season is proposed to begin Nov. 1, 2014, and end Jan. 31, 2015. Fall turkey hunters will see a reduction in turkey licenses available and closure of several west river counties and east river turkey hunting units. The Black Hills unit includes a boundary change which retains an open area on the eastern and southern tier of the Black Hills; including a reduction in licenses from 1,500 to 750.
The GFP Commission will take final action on these proposals on Aug. 7-8, 2014, at the Holiday Inn Express in Fort Pierre. To view these rule proposals in their entirety, please visit https://gfp.sd.gov/agency/commission/default.aspx. Written comments on these proposals can be sent to 523 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre, S.D. 57501, or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be included in the public record, comments must be received by 12 p.m. CDT on Aug. 7 and have your full name and city of residence.
South Dakota 2014 Waterfowl Hunting Seasons Proposed
PIERRE, S.D. - The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) Commission proposed the 2014 waterfowl hunting seasons at their July meeting.
2014 Duck Hunting Proposed Season Information:
- High Plains Zone: Oct. 11, 2014 - Jan. 15, 2015
- Low Plains North and Low Plains Middle Zone: Sept. 27 - Dec. 9, 2014
- Low Plains South Zone: Oct. 11 - Dec. 23, 2014
- Daily Limit: 6 ducks per day.
- The duck limit may be comprised of no more than 5 mallards (which may include no more than 2 hens), 3 wood ducks, 3 scaup, 2 redheads, 2 pintails and 1 canvasback.
- In addition, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service recently approved an experimental three year bonus blue-winged teal season; which would allow hunters two additional blue-winged teal for a daily bag limit of 8 ducks for the first 16 days of the season.
- Possession Limit: Three times the daily bag limit.
2014 Goose Hunting Proposed Season Information:
- Light Geese Statewide: Sept. 27 – Dec. 21, 2014
- Canada Geese (and Brant):
- Unit 1: Oct. 1 – Dec. 16, 2014
- Unit 2: Nov. 3, 2014 – Feb. 15, 2015
- Unit 3: Jan. 10-18, 2015
- White-Fronted Geese Statewide: Sept. 27 - Dec. 7, 2014
- Daily Limit:
- Light Geese: 50
- Canada Geese: Unit 1: 8 | Unit 2: 4 | Unit 3:4
- White-Fronted Geese: 2
- Possession Limit: Unlimited for light geese. All other geese would have a possession limit of three times the daily limit.
The Commission's proposal includes an increase to the daily bag limit for light geese from 20 to 50. The Canada goose season proposal also includes changing the start date for Unit 2 to begin on a Monday and end on a Sunday. This change would provide hunters with an additional weekend to hunt later in the season when Canada geese are staged on the Missouri River and urban ponds as well as feeding in fields.
The GFP Commission will take final action on these proposals on Aug. 7-8, 2014, at the Holiday Inn Express in Fort Pierre. To view these rule proposals in their entirety, please visit https://gfp.sd.gov/agency/commission/default.aspx. Written comments on these proposals can be sent to 523 E. Capitol Ave., Pierre, S.D. 57501, or emailed to email@example.com. To be included in the public record, comments must be received by 12 p.m. CDT on Aug. 7 and have your full name and city of residence.-GFP-