GFP News - August 10, 2015
- 10th Annual Bat Festival to be Held at Custer State Park
- South Dakota State Parks Celebrate Summer
10th Annual Bat Festival to be Held at Custer State Park
CUSTER STATE PARK, S.D. -- The South Dakota Bat Working Group (SDBWG) will present the 10th Annual South Dakota Bat Festival on Saturday, Aug. 15, at 6 p.m. MDT in Custer State Park’s Tatanka Theater in Game Lodge Campground.
Biologists will answer questions about bats and at 7 p.m. there will be a lecture-presentation. The festival also includes educational bat displays, crafts for kids and refreshments.
After the presentation, “bat-detectors” will be used to listen to bats flying overhead in Game Lodge Campground.
"Some of the bats roosting in the Tatanka Theatre often make an appearance by flying around inside the theatre," said festival organizer Joel Tigner. "This gives festival-goers a chance to hear real-time echolocation calls as recorded on ultrasonic 'bat' detectors."
The purpose of the SDBWG is to work to protect bats and bat habitat through action, education and cooperation with federal, state, tribal and private landowners. The group aims to raise awareness about the role bats play in maintaining healthy ecosystems, and to work with public land managers and private landowners and provide alternatives that will reduce possible adverse effects to bats or bat habitat.
The SDBWG is a member of the Western States Bat Working Group. For more information on the festival and the South Dakota Bat Working Group, please contact Joel Tigner at 605-390-2061.
South Dakota State Parks Celebrate Summer
PIERRE, S.D. -- Though days are shortening, South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is celebrating the warm summer nights. Programs take place throughout the weekend, focusing on connecting members of the community to the beauties of their area.
South Dakota State Parks are hosting the following events this weekend.
Friday, August 14
- Our River - Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 7 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
Saturday, August 15
- Forces of Good Earth - Good Earth State Park at Blood Run, Sioux Falls. 11 a.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- The Science of Nature - Chief White Crane Recreation Area, Yankton. 11 a.m. CT. Info: 605.668.2985
- Critter Detective - Newton Hills State Park, Canton. 1 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Animal Tracking Program - Oakwood Lakes State Park, Bruce. 2:30 p.m. CT. Info: 605.627.5441
- 10th Annual South Dakota Bat Festival - Custer State Park, Custer. 6 p.m. MT. Info: 605.255.4464
- Lantern Tour - Fort Sisseton Historic State Park, Lake City. 9:30 p.m. CT. Info: 605.448.5474
- Perseid Meteor and Star Party - Palisade State Park, Garretson. 10 p.m. CT. Info: 605.594.3824
For more information, view the events calendar at gfp.sd.gov.