GFP Offers Free Park Entrance and Free Fishing May 18-20May 14, 2018
PIERRE, S.D. –The unofficial kickoff to summer begins this weekend with the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks’ (GFP) annual Open House and Free Fishing Weekend May 18-20. The statewide event waives entrance fees and allows free fishing for residents and nonresidents.
All state park and recreation areas will be open for use without entrance fees during the three-day event. The event allows anglers to fish without a license statewide. Fishing regulations and limits as well as camping fees still apply. Parks will also be offering daily activities to celebrate the event.
Friday, May 18
- Season Kick-Off, Custer State Park, Custer. Info: 605.255.4515
Saturday, May 19
- Wall Lake Fishing Derby, Lake Louise Recreation Area, Miller. Info: 605.853.2533
- Kids’ Fishing Derby, Oakwood Lakes State Park, Bruce. Info: 605.627.5441
- Spring Photo Scavenger Hunt, Good Earth State Park, Sioux Falls. Info: 605.213.1036
- Fishing Fun, Chief White Crane, Yankton. Info: 605.668.2985
- Fantastic Family Fishing, Palisades State Park, Garretson. Info: 605.594.3824
- Donkey Dash 5k Fun Run, Adams Homestead and Nature Preserve, North Sioux City. Info: 605.232.0873
- Custer State Park Seasonal Volksmarch, Custer. Info: 605.255.4515
Sunday, May 20
- Statue Unveiling, Good Earth State Park, Sioux Falls. Info: 605.213.1036
Camping reservations at South Dakota State Parks can be made 24 hours a day. Make reservations online at campsd.com or by calling 1.800.710.2267.
Visit gfp.sd.gov for more information or to see a complete list of state parks and events.
View All News