Sept. 1 - Nov. 9, 2016
Open Area: Statewide
Daily Limit: 15
Possession Limit: 45
Mourning doves are found almost everywhere in South Dakota. They prefer grasslands, open woodlands, agricultural fields, and residential areas. Primary foods are seeds and small grains.
These speedy birds have been clocked at 50 miles per hour in the air, enough jukes and jives to make them very elusive game. Mourning doves are typically hunted early morning and at dusk as they travel from feed (often grain fields) to water and back.
A hunter may cover in light camouflage and wait for pass shooting; may use decoys; and, though a challenge, may walk shelterbelts and fields to flush the birds.
Mourning doves are notoriously sensitive to cold weather, and may migrate out of the state as the evenings grow frosty.
Mourning dove hunters may also encounter Eurasian collared doves which are open to hunting year-round without a daily or posession limit.
Here are some mourning dove hunting restrictions to keep in mind:
- You may not hunt on or within 50 yards of a public road
- You may not shoot at a dove not flying
- You may not hunt doves with a shotgun capable of holding more than three shells
- You may not hunt doves in state park or recreation areas, except that portion of Angostura State Recreation Area lying west of the dam
- Residents = Small Game, or and Combination license, or Youth Small Game; or 1-Day Small Game
- Nonresidents = Nonresident Small Game, or Nonresident Youth Small Game
- Migratory Bird Certification: All mourning dove hunters must complete and purchase the South Dakota Migratory Bird Certification
- Purchase a license online: Purchase and print off your license from the comfort of your home.
- You may purchase your license by visiting these storefront license agents
Hunting Regulations: A summary of the rules and regulations that guide your hunt.
Public Hunting Areas: We offer over 1 million acres of Walk-In Areas (private land leased for public hunting) to supplement our many other public hunting opportunities. Not only can you access these maps, but we offer options to personalize maps to meet your needs and even download map information to your GPS unit.