COVID-19 General Information
As our state faces the COVID-19 pandemic, Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is working hard to make sure South Dakota’s outdoors are open to be used safely and responsibly. However, COVID-19 has impacted day-to-day operations and outdoor recreation.
General COVID-19 Information
- The outdoors remain open.
- Recreate responsibly and recreate locally.
- Everyone who recreates in South Dakota has a personal responsibility to practice good stewardship and respect for their surroundings as well as for their fellow friends, families and neighbors – now more than ever.
State Offices remain closed at this time, but there are lots of opportunities for outdoor activities that don’t require contact with staff.
- Shooting and archery ranges are open.
- Trapping for bounty program – visit our Nest Predator Bounty Program page for tail submission instructions.
- Fishing (and boat ramps).
- Fish cleaning stations
- Spring turkey hunting season is open through the end of May.
- Disk golf courses.
- And, of course, our trails.
- Other facilities or services related to frequently touched surfaces are likely unavailable.
Recommendations from Governor Noem and the CDC:
- Recreate locally and responsibly.
- Practice social distancing and avoid crowds.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.
- Stay home if you have any symptoms and contact your doctor.
Additional Information on COVID-19:
The most recent GFP Podcast and Blast episodes have discussed everything you need to know regarding outdoor recreation in South Dakota as we address COVID-19. You can find these episodes here:
- Episode 12 - Question and Answers featuring "Are you closing fishing and hunting season?"
- Episode 13-Amazing Snakes and Fish Stories
- Episode 14-Fish Stocking, Mercury in Lakes, more Q+A
Please make mindful decisions as you care for yourself and your loved ones. For more information on COVID-19 in South Dakota, https://covid.sd.gov/.