COVID-19 Information on Access

When using these public lands, please follow the social distancing and other guidelines from the CDC and Governor Noem. We ask that you show respect to the landowners, the resource and other outdoor enthusiasts by ensuring you pack out everything you pack in, and avoid damaging wet roads.

Public Lands

  • State parks are open.  

  • All Game Production Areas (GPAs) are currently open to public recreation. These are lands owned by the department of Game, Fish and Parks.

  • Walk-In Areas (WIAs) are private lands leased by the department for hunting only. All WIAs are currently open to hunting only. Landowner permission is required for other activities like trapping, fishing or dog training. 

  • Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) areas are private lands enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) and leased by the department for hunting and fishing. All CREP areas are currently open to hunting and fishing. Like WIAs, landowner permission is required for trapping, dog training or other activities. 

Learn more about public lands in South Dakota

Federal Public Lands

For the latest information on federal sites that may be closed, visit the USDA Forest Service website at

Recommendations from Governor Noem and the CDC:

  • Recreate responsibly. 
  • Practice social distancing and avoid crowds.
  • Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.
  • Stay home if you have any symptoms and contact your doctor.

Please make mindful decisions as you care for yourself and your loved ones. For more information on COVID-19 in South Dakota,