COVID-19 Information on Access
When using these public lands, please follow the social distancing and other guidelines from the CDC and Governor Noem. We ask that you show respect to the landowners, the resource and other outdoor enthusiasts by ensuring you pack out everything you pack in, and avoid damaging wet roads.
State parks are open.
All Game Production Areas (GPAs) are currently open to public recreation. These are lands owned by the department of Game, Fish and Parks.
Walk-In Areas (WIAs) are private lands leased by the department for hunting only. All WIAs are currently open to hunting only. Landowner permission is required for other activities like trapping, fishing or dog training.
Conservation Reserve Enhancement Program (CREP) areas are private lands enrolled in the Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) and leased by the department for hunting and fishing. All CREP areas are currently open to hunting and fishing. Like WIAs, landowner permission is required for trapping, dog training or other activities.
Federal Public Lands
For the latest information on federal sites that may be closed, visit the USDA Forest Service website at https://www.fs.usda.gov/blackhills.
- Hunters holding a South Dakota firearms deer, prairie antelope, mentored antelope, tundra swan, nonresident waterfowl, resident special goose, fall turkey, or mentor turkey license have the opportunity to return the license for a full refund.
- Hunters are not required to return their tags-tag returns are entirely voluntary.
- Hunters returning their license will receive a full refund and retain their preference points.
- Simply send a note requesting a refund due to COVID-19, and your license to: GFP Licensing Office, 20641 SD Hwy 1806, Ft. Pierre, SD 57532.
- The following tags must be postmarked by September 25:
- Nonresident Waterfowl
- Tundra Swan
- Prairie Antelope
- Mentored Antelope
- Resident Special Goose
- The following tags must be postmarked by October 31:
- Firearm Deer Seasons
- Fall Turkey
- Mentored Turkey
- Read more about tag returns.
More Information on COVID-19
Recommendations from Governor Noem and the CDC:
- Recreate locally and responsibly.
- Practice social distancing and avoid crowds.
- Wash your hands frequently and thoroughly.
- Stay home if you have any symptoms and contact your doctor.
Additional Information on COVID-19:
The most recent GFP Podcast and Blast episodes have discussed everything you need to know regarding outdoor recreation in South Dakota as we address COVID-19. You can find these episodes here:
- Episode 12 - Question and Answers featuring "Are you closing fishing and hunting season?"
- Episode 13-Amazing Snakes and Fish Stories
- Episode 14-Fish Stocking, Mercury in Lakes, more Q+A
Please make mindful decisions as you care for yourself and your loved ones. For more information on COVID-19 in South Dakota, https://covid.sd.gov/.