GFP News - June 6, 2014
South Dakota HuntSAFE Instructors Recognized
Pierre, S.D. -Several award winners will be recognized by the South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) for their commitment, support and leadership in educating today's youth on the development and awareness of safe and honorable hunting practices.
Bill Weber, a volunteer HuntSAFE instructor from Dell Rapids, was selected as the 2013 HuntSAFE Instructor of the Year. Jessica Jensen and Julie Luebke, who team-teach in the Sioux Falls area, were selected as the 2013 Instructor Team of the Year and are the first ever all female team to be recognized.
In addition, regional HuntSAFE instructors and instructor teams were also nominated by GFP conservation officers and volunteer instructors.
2013 Regional Individual Winners:
- Steve Abraham of Rapid City;
- Mike McKernan of Murdo; and
- Jay Osterloh of Hecla.
2013 Regional Team Winners:
- Randy Vallery, Fred Lamphere, Ed Culver and Fred Wells of Nisland;
- Karen Olson, Tom Lee, Kevin Hipple and Brian Lee of Pierre; and
- Wayne Heilman, Rob McGraw, John Pollock, Keith Zobel, Dave Warkenthien and Andy Wookey of Clark.
Two new awards provide an additional opportunity for volunteers and conservation officers to be recognized.
Leo Gaspar Extraordinary Contribution Award
- Ron Kolbeck, from Salem, won the Leo Gaspar Extraordinary Contribution Award which recognizes his contributions made to HuntSAFE during 2013. This award is named for a volunteer instructor who contributed over 50 years of service to the HuntSAFE program.
2013 HuntSAFE Conservation Officer of the Year
- Dean Shultz, a conservation officer from Sisseton, won the 2013 HuntSAFE Conservation Officer of the Year which recognizes his support to the HuntSAFE program and local community.
"These award recipients are just a few of the instructors and instructor teams who consistently put forward a quality learning experience and all share a passion for hunting and its future in South Dakota," concluded Jason Kool, GFP HuntSAFE program coordinator. "We are grateful for the commitment and dedication each and every instructor gives to the HuntSAFE program every year."-GFP-