GFP News - June 27, 2016
State Park Visitors are Advised to Leave Fireworks at Home
Pierre, S.D. -The upcoming Fourth of July holiday is a busy time in South Dakota's state parks and recreation areas. The South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is asking state park visitors to leave fireworks at home.
According to Katie Ceroll, state parks director, campgrounds are traditionally busy with campers and other visitors enjoying the parks during this time period.
"Parks are a Fourth of July destination. For many guests, the trip is a family tradition. High use of the campgrounds, beaches and day-use areas over the holiday weekend is a given," said Ceroll.
Discharging fireworks is prohibited on all lands owned or leased by GFP. The ban includes state parks, recreation areas, lakeside use areas, game production areas and nature areas. Discharging fireworks is also illegal within the boundaries of the Black Hills Forest Fire Protection District, national forests and national parks in South Dakota.
For more information on the South Dakota State Parks, visit gfp.sd.gov or call 605.773.3391.
Trail Trek 2016 Registration Open
Pierre, S.D. -Spots are available for the Annual Mickelson Trail Trek Sept. 16-18. The deadline for early registration is July 1. After that, merchandise is not included with registration.
Riders on the Trail Trek will cover 109 miles of the trail over three days, from Friday, Sept. 16, through Sunday, Sept. 18. The registration fee includes the trail pass, shuttle service, commemorative souvenirs, refreshments and some meals during each day’s ride. Riders are responsible for accommodations and mechanical support. The ride is open to all bicyclists 14 years of age and older.
The Trail Trek highlights the George S. Mickelson Trail as it winds through the heart of the Black Hills from Edgemont to Lead/Deadwood. The ride began as a celebration of the completion of the rails-to-trails project. It continues today to introduce new bicyclists to the trail and thank supporters for their long-standing enthusiasm for the Black Hills trail.
Register online or view full schedule of events at mickelsontrail.com. Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
Contact 605.584.3896 or email MickelsonTrail@state.sd.us with questions.
Northern Fort Playhouse Celebrates Summer Season
Pierre, S.D. - The eleventh season of Northern Fort Playhouse Productions Summer Theatre will commence this July. This season, "The Spitfire Grill" by James Valcq and "Making God Laugh" by Sean Grennan will be acted in the historic South Barracks at Fort Sisseton Historic State Park.
Fort Sisseton Historic State Park and Northern State University’s Department of Theater have collaborated with the Northern Fort Playhouse Foundation for 11 years now to present plays in the unique setting of the historic fort.
"The plays draw support from the local communities and the students from Northern State University do such an amazing job," says Christopher Soukup, park manager at the Fort. “It’s the perfect way to see the beauty of the park and the talent of the region all in one place.”
In addition to a historical setting and quality entertainment, refreshments and meals are offered at some of the performances. For menu options, visit northernplayhouse.com.
The fort will host its annual Lantern Tour: Walk the Fort Grounds on Saturday, July 23, following the performance. This tour is held by lantern light and includes stories of the past and present during a tour of the historic grounds.
The performances are scheduled for Friday and Saturday evenings; July 8 through July 22 with Sunday matinees on July 10 and 17.
The varied performance schedule provides an opportunity to catch both shows at convenient times:
The Spitfire Grill
Friday, July 8 at 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, July 10 at 2 p.m.
Saturday, July 16 and 25 at 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, July 23 at 7:30 p.m.
Making God Laugh
Saturday, July 9 at 7:30 p.m.
Friday, July 15 at 7:30 p.m.
Sunday, July 17 at 2 p.m.
Friday, July 22 at 7:30 p.m.
For menus, directions and additional information visit northernfortplayhouse.com or call 605.467.3247.
Fort Sisseton Historic State Park is located 10 miles southwest of Lake City off South Dakota Highway 10. For additional information about the historical fort, visit gfp.sd.gov/fort-sisseton or call 605.448.5474.
Celebrate The 4th of July Parading Through the Parks
Pierre, S.D. - This Independence Day weekend Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is hosting activities in parks across the state. From decorating your campsite to bike parades, there are so many ways to show off your patriotism outdoors this weekend!
- Patriotic Campsite Decorating Contest - Sandy Shore Recreation Area and Pelican Lake Recreation Area, Watertown and Lake Cochrane Recreation Area, Gary. Friday 4 p.m. â€“ Saturday 5 p.m. CT. Info: 605.882.5200
- Amazing Nature Race - Mina Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen.
1 p.m. - 5 p.m. CT. Info: 605.626.3488
- Patriotic Campsite Decorating Contest - Pickerel Lake Recreation Area, Grenville. Friday 4 p.m.- Saturday 5 p.m. Info: 605.486.4753
- 4th of July Parade - West Bend Recreation Area, Pierre.
10 a.m. CT. Info: 605.773.2885
- Old Time 4th of July - Palisades State Park, Garretson.
4 p.m. CT. Info: 605.594.3824
- Amazing Nature Race - Richmond Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen.
1 p.m. - 5 p.m. CT. Info: 605.626.3488
- Happy Birthday America Bike Parade - Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, Yankton. 10:30 a.m. CT. Info: 605.668.2985
- A Classic Fourth - Fort Sisseton Historic State Park, Lake City.
1 p.m. - 4 p.m. CT. Info: 605.448.5474
- Extreme Amazing Race - Newton Hills State Park, Canton.
10 a.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Fourth of July Dutch Oven Pie - Mina Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen.
5 p.m. CT. Info: 605.626.3488
- Soak Your Park Manager - Newton Hills State Park, Canton.
3 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Kids’ Bike Parade - Oakwood Lakes State Park, Bruce.
11 a.m. CT. Info: 605.627.5441
- Campsite Decorating Contest - Oakwood Lakes State Park, Bruce.
5 p.m. CT. Info: 605.627.5441
- Independence Day Bike Parade - Pelican Lake Recreation Area, Watertown. 2:30 p.m. CT. Info: 605.882.5200
- Fourth of July Dutch Oven Pie - Richmond Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen.
5 p.m. CT. Info:605.626.3488
- Independence Day Bike Parade - Newton Hills State Park, Canton.
4:30 p.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Independence Day Bike Parade - Lake Vermillion Recreation Area, Canistota. 11 a.m. CT. Info: 605.296.3643
- Uncle Sam’s Bike Parade - Big Sioux Recreation Area, Brandon.
3 p.m. CT. Info: 605.582.7243
See the events calendar online for more information, gfp.sd.gov.