GFP News - July 11, 2016
Enjoy "Little Wings on the Prairie" at Oahe Downstream Recreation Area
Pierre, S.D. - Oahe Downstream Recreation Area north of Fort Pierre is hosting the Second Annual “Little Wings on the Prairie” Butterfly Festival on Saturday, July 16, from 9 a.m. to Noon. The event will be held at the Oahe Downstream Prairie Butterfly Garden near the park’s Welcome Center.
The festival includes a number of activities and teaching stations where families can learn about South Dakota pollinators.
The Pollinator’s Parade starts at 10:30 a.m. Kids can wear costumes (bees, butterflies, insects, birds) and join in the parade. Adults are also welcome to join the parade. A limited number of paper wings will be available for decorating and wearing in the parade.
Other activities include:
- Garden Tours - Identify the native plants in the garden and the importance of the pollinators that call the garden their home.
- How-to demonstrations - Do-it-yourself instructions on how to create your own butterfly garden, pollinator ball or native bee house.
- Honey Tasting - Sample the sweet results of the bee’s hard work.
- Kid’s Activities - Make your own antennae and butterfly feeder, run the migration maze, discover the different flower parts, imitate a pollinator, paint a rock for your garden, decorate a pollinator sweet treat and color your own pollinator flying disc.
- Sweet-Treat Painting - Paint and design your own pollinator treat.
At this annual event, participants have an opportunity to view, learn and ask questions about pollinators and enjoy the family-friendly activities. Information will be presented by U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, SD Game, Fish and Parks, U.S. Forest Service/Fort Pierre National Grassland, SDSU Extension, Discovery Center of Pierre and the Pheasants Forever organization.
Participants are encouraged to bring comfortable clothing and shoes, insect repellant, sun screen, binoculars and costumes.
There is no charge for the event, but a South Dakota State Park Entrance License is required for all motor vehicles entering the park. Children 11 and under are admitted free. Parking attendants will be on-site.
For more information, call 605.223.7722. The Oahe Downstream Recreation Area is located five miles north of Fort Pierre off SD Highway 1806.
Pass the Dog Days of Summer with Game, Fish and Parks Programs this Weekend
Pierre, S.D. - This weekend, South Dakota Game, Fish and Parks (GFP) is offering an assortment of activities to help pass the dog days of summer. Learn about insects and nature at Outdoor Campus West. Beat the heat by participating in one of the water oriented activities like Water Craft Exploration in Yankton, Family Paddling in Sioux Falls or Intro to Kayaking in Aberdeen.
- Nature Photo Scavenger Hunt -Mina Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen. 4 p.m. CT.
- Outdoor Movie and Popcorn-Chief White Crane Recreation Area, Yankton. 9 p.m. CT. Info: 605.668.2985
- Nature Bingo - Chief White Crane Recreation Area, Yankton. 8 p.m. CT.
- Step Outside - Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, Yankton. 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. CT.
- Archery - Lewis and Clark Recreation Area, Yankton. 9 a.m. â€“ 12 p.m. CT.
- Water Craft Exploration - Chief White Crane Recreation Area, Yankton. 9 a.m. â€“ 12 p.m. CT. Info: 605.668.2985
- Intro to Kayaking - Richmond Lake Recreation Area, Aberdeen. 9 a.m. â€“ 1 p.m. CT. Info: 605.626.3488
- Choose Your Own Park Adventure - Palisades State Park, Garretson. 2 p.m. CT. Info: 605.594.3824
- Damselflies and Dragonflies - Outdoor Campus West, Rapid City. 10 a.m. â€“ 10:45 a.m. MT. Info: 605.394.2310
- Butterflies and Moths - Outdoor Campus West, Rapid City. 10 a.m. â€“ 10:45 a.m.MT. Info: 605.394.2310
- Birding Basics - Newton Hills State Park, Canton. 10 a.m. CT. Info: 605.987.2263
- Little Wings on the Prairie Festival - Oahe Downstream Recreation Area, Fort Pierre. 9 a.m. â€“ 12 p.m. CT. Info: 605.223.7722
- Dutch Oven Cooking - Fort Sisseton Historic State Park, Lake City. 1 p.m. CT.
- If You Give a Moose a Marshmallow - Pelican Lake Recreation Area, Watertown. 10 a.m. CT. Info: 605.882.5200
- Step Outside - Sioux Falls Isaac Walton Club, Sioux Falls 9 a.m. â€“ 12 p.m. CT.
- Wild Bird Rehabilitation - Outdoor Campus East, Sioux Falls. 2 p.m. CT.
Registration is required for some events. See the events calendar online for more information, gfp.sd.gov.