GFP News - August 9, 2012
- Business Opportunity At Angostura Reservoir Announced
- Make Plans to Attend Special Events in South Dakota State Parks
Business Opportunity At Angostura Reservoir Announced
HOT SPRINGS, S.D. - Entrepreneurs interested in operating a marina and resort on Angostura Reservoir near Hot Springs may now submit proposals.
"Angostura Recreation Area has been an extremely popular outdoor recreation destination for years, and the recreational opportunities there are increasing," said Doug Hofer, South Dakota parks and recreation director.
A prospectus for the operation of Angostura Resort is now available online and through the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks.
The prospectus details the terms and conditions under which interested operators may submit a proposal for consideration. It also includes a detailed business opportunity, the requirements necessary to submit a proposal, and a draft concession agreement for a term of 10 years.
Required services include a marina, lodging cabin rental, food service, retail goods and boat fuel. Proposals must be received by 3 p.m. on Oct. 15, 2012.
The 1,200-acre Angostura Recreation Area consists of four multi-lane boat ramps, five campgrounds with 191 campsites, three miles of paved recreation trails, a large swim beach and many other amenities, such as bath/shower houses, picnic shelters and playgrounds.
A 1.3-mile paved road was completed last year to connect all recreation area and concession facilities along the east shore of the reservoir. A new 22-site campground was recently finished on the west side of the reservoir in Sheps Canyon.
"Angostura has proven itself as an extremely popular destination," Hofer said. "With the recent improvements, the state recreation area is poised for continued growth and opportunity."
The recreation area is located 10 miles south of Hot Springs, off Highway 18/385.
A copy of the prospectus is available by contacting the South Dakota Department of Game, Fish and Parks, Division of Parks and Recreation at 523 East Capitol, Pierre, SD 57501 or calling 605-773-3391. Printable versions of the prospectus are also available for free download from Angostura page on the Game, Fish and Parks website.
Make Plans to Attend Special Events in South Dakota State Parks
PIERRE, S.D. - South Dakota state parks will hold special events on Saturday, Aug. 18. The activities are a great way to spend a summer evening. Make plans to attend the following events:
- SD Bat Festival, 6:30 p.m. MDT, Custer State Park. In partnership with the South Dakota Bat Working Group, Custer State Park is hosting the 7th Annual Bat Festival. Several biologists will be on-hand with activities and presentations to help visitors understand and appreciate the myths and facts associated with bats. Info: 605-255-4464
- Angostura Astronomy Program, 8 a.m. MDT, Angostura Recreation Area near Hot Springs. Spend a relaxing evening under the stars in perhaps one of the best astronomy settings in the southern Black Hills. Participants will take a tour of the night sky and learn how to find some common constellations. Bring a pair of binoculars and a chair. Info: 605-745-6996
- Lantern Tour, 9 p.m. CDT, Fort Sisseton Historic State Park near Lake City. Tour historic Fort Sisseton by the light of a lantern. Info: 605-983-5085
- Perseid Meteor Shower and Star Party, 10 p.m. CDT, Palisades State Park near Garretson. Join us for a tour of the night sky and meteor shower. Telescopes will be set up for visitors to view. Please bring a lawn chair or blanket and bug spray. Info: 605-594-3824
The programs are open to all ages. There is no charge to participate in the events; however, a park entrance license is required to enter the parks.
For more information on activities in South Dakota state parks, visit www.gfp.sd.gov , contact the individual park office or call 605-773-3391.