GFP News - August 8, 2013
Make Plans to Attend Special Events in South Dakota State Parks
PIERRE, S.D. -- South Dakota state parks will hold special events on Saturday, Aug. 17. The activities are a great way to spend a summer day. Make plans to attend the following events:
- Nature Hike, 9 a.m. CDT, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Join the park naturalist on a nature hike through the new Good Earth State Park which is within the Blood Run National Historic Landmark. The area is significant for its history as a settlement for thousands of American Indians. This nature walk will be an introduction and exploration of the 13th S.D. State Park and the first in 40 years. Info: 605-987-2263 or firstname.lastname@example.org, pre-registration: 605-362-2777 or www.outdoorcampus.org
- Disco Disc Golf Tournament, 9 a.m. CDT, Big Sioux Recreation Area near Brandon. Disc golf teams will compete for the top prize. All levels are welcome! Teams can begin registering at 9 a.m. Info: 605-582-7243
- Sand Volleyball Fun, 10 a.m. CDT, Lake Poinsett Recreation Area near Arlington. Hit the beach for a game of sand volleyball. Info: 605-983-5085
- Incredible Insects, 1 p.m. CDT, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Learn about the insects in South Dakota! Info: 605-987-2263
- South Dakota's State Insect, 4 p.m. CDT, Newton Hills State Park near Canton. Learn all about South Dakota's state insect! Info: 605-987-2263
- SD Bat Festival, 6:30 p.m. MDT, Custer State Park. In partnership with the South Dakota Bat Working Group, Custer State Park is hosting the 8th Annual Bat Festival. Several biologists will be on-hand with activities and presentations to help visitors understand and appreciate the myths and facts associated with bats. Info: 605-255-4464 or www.sdbwg.org
- Lantern Tour, 8:30 p.m. CDT, Fort Sisseton Historic State Park near Lake City. Tour historic Fort Sisseton by the light of a lantern. Lanterns are provided. Info: 605-448-5474
- Constellation Stories, 9:30 p.m. CDT, Good Earth State Park at Blood Run near Sioux Falls. Learn constellation stories from cultures around the world while looking at the Good Earth night sky through a telescope. Bring good walking shoes and bug repellant. Info: 605-987-2263
The programs are open to all ages. There is no charge to participate in the events; however, a park entrance license is required to enter the parks.
For more information on activities in South Dakota state parks, visit www.gfp.sd.gov, contact the individual park office or call 605-773-3391.