Black Hills Firearms Elk
South Dakota residents who have not received a Black Hills firearms elk license in the preceding nine years are eligible to apply.
- Season Dates:
Black Hills- Oct. 1-31, 2017 for Any Elk; Oct. 17-31, 2017 and Dec. 1-15, 2017 for Antlerless Elk
- Antlerless Elk tags for Units H1B, H7B, and H9B are valid Oct. 17 - 31 and Dec. 1 - 16
- Antlerless Elk tags for Units H2B, H2E, H2H, H3B, and H3E are valid Oct. 17 - 31
- Antlerless Elk tags for Units H2C, H2F, H2I, H3C, and H3F are valid Dec. 1 - 16
- Antlerless Elk tags for Units H2D, H2G, H2J, H3D, and H3G are valid Dec. 17 - 31
Requirements and Restrictions:
- No person may possess more than one (1) elk license of any type in a year.
- No more than two persons may submit applications together.
- Except for landowner/operator preference applicants, no person who receives a license in the first drawing for this season shall be eligible to apply for a Black Hills elk license in first drawings for the next 9 years.
- One-half of the licenses allocated in each unit are available for landowner/operator preference. One member of each qualifying landowner/operator household may apply every year.
- Each elk harvested must be inspected by a Conservation Officer or designee within 24 hours after kill.
- Available to SD residents only
- 2017 Black Hills Elk Application
(Available - May )
(First Deadline - May 19 )
- Apply Online
- All landowner preference applicants must apply by paper application.
50 Elk Contingency Licenses
Black Hills Firearms Elk unit map