Mentored Deer Hunt
South Dakota residents have the opportunity to pass the wonderful tradition of deer hunting on to a new generation through the Mentored Hunt program.
A mentored hunting license is available for youth at least 10 years old and younger than 16 years old. This is a separate application process from the normal deer application. This is a one-to-one mentorship between an adult and the youth. The youth is not required to have hunter safety certification for this hunt, but certification is required of the mentor. Other requirements are listed in the application form.
We invite and encourage you to introduce a young person to hunting and all the joys and health benefits that go with being outdoors.
- Season Dates:
Mentored Deer - Sept. 12, 2015 - Jan. 15, 2016
NOTE: The purchase of a mentored hunt license does not affect eligibility of the parent/guardian for other deer, antelope and turkey seasons.
- Mentored Deer Application
(Available - February )
(First Deadline - No deadline )
- Apply Online
Free access permits
In addition to a license, a FREE access permit is required to hunt certain areas during this season. An access permit is obtained/applied for through the online license system.
Access Permit for Hill Ranch GPA, Little Moreau GPA, and all Custer National Forest Service land within Harding County: FREE Access Permit required for Archery, Muzzleloader and Youth deer hunting.
- The Access Permits for these areas are not limited.
- For more information on these areas, view; Unit 27L (Hill Ranch GPA), Unit 24B (Little Moreau GPA), and Unit 35L (Custer National Forest Land within Harding Co.) on the West River firearms webpage.
- To obtain these permits, you must first purchase the license type that is valid for these areas.
- This permit may be obtained at anytime throughout the season, however, please leave ample time for the permit to be processed and mailed to you.
- More Info >
- Sign Up