Employment and Internship Opportunities
Common jobs within GFP -
- Conservation Officer - Conservation Officers enforce hunting, fishing, trapping, and boating laws and regulations and develop water and land resources for the benefit of fish and wildlife in their assigned areas.
- Park Manager - Park managers work to enhance, preserve and protect the resources and facilities of their assigned park district and provide recreational activities that are compatible with the resource. They also manage the daily operations and maintenance of a park unit or a collection of park units within a part district, are lead workers, and provide work direction to assigned permanent and seasonal staff, volunteers, and trusties.
- Wildlife Biologist - Wildlife/Fisheries Biologists are hired to research the habitat, production, distribution and other factors that affect the wildlife and fisheries resources. Higher level positions require either three or four years of management or research experience.
- Wildlife Damage Specialist - Wildlife Damage Specialists provide assistance in controlling and preventing depredation of livestock or losses of crops, forage, or other property by wildlife. Wildlife Damage Specialists provide educational presentations and demonstrations to promote sport hunting of game species and trapping of furbearers and provide technical assistance to persons requesting help with various wildlife-related problems.
How to Apply
- Permanent Positions - Permanent positions are announced by the Bureau of Human Resources and distributed to all South Dakota Job Service offices and state supported colleges and universities. Information on permanent positions can be obtained by writing the Bureau of Human Resources,
500 East Capitol Avenue,
Pierre, SD 57501-5070 or calling
605.773.3148. A current list of state job openings is available here.
- Seasonal Positions - Seasonal job announcements are distributed to all South Dakota Job Service offices or can be obtained by writing:
Bureau of Human Resources,
500 East Capitol Avenue,
Pierre, SD 57501-5070
or calling 605.773.3148. The seasonal job announcement is published in December and applications are accepted in December and January. View current listings.
- Internships - There are several opening for professional internships with Game, Fish and Parks. Get more information on these and other internships with state government.
- Volunteer Positions