northeast Regional Advisory panel
September 4, 2013
|Panel Members||GFP Staff|
|Rick Smith||Scott Lindgren|
|Dick Pearson||Jacquie Ermer|
|Lee Schull||Mike Klosowski|
|Neil Bien||John Leisner|
|Brenda Mitzel||Nick Cockran|
|Members Not in Attendance: Brian Fisher, John Johnson||Public: 3 (including Rep. Susan Wismer)|
Scott Lindgren- Regional Supervisor
Scott welcomed everyone and introduced new panel member, Lee Schull. Lee is a businessman and landowner from Watertown. New Hunting Atlases and Hunting Handbooks were provided. Scott gave brief update on recent Wildlife Division Conference.
Each RAP member gave update of what is happening in their area. The majority reported the best fishing that they could remember in years. The bite didn't slow down in July or August. They also reported fewer hunters and geese in August.
Jacquie Ermer- Regional Wildlife Manager
- Gave presentation on Deer Depredation Management and Challenges with emphasis on current tools and use of short-stopping. Also discussed difference of short-stopping vs. feeding wildlife.
- Jacquie asked that each member continue to think of additional options and ideas to improve deer depredation program.
- Due to time constraints, presentation on Spring Canada Goose Program and Depredation Update was not given.
Representative Susan Wismer
- Represents Marshall, Day, Roberts Counties, Hecla and Frederick
- Rep. Wismer provided a few comments from last legislative session, particularly on nonresident waterfowl licenses and meander/non-meander water issues.
- Rep. Wismer is not seeing much, if any, progress on the Water issue. Group discussed issue.
- Commented that crop insurance being tied to conservation compliance in Farm Bill is not looking promising right now.
Mike Klosowski- Regional CO Supervisor
- Due to time constraints, presentation on Law Enforcement Reorganization was not given.
John Leisner- Regional Habitat Manager
- Gave presentation on GPA Food Plots with emphasis on "alternative food plots"; the how, why, what, when and where to plant.
Scott recognized Jeff Dunn for his service over the years. This is Jeff's last meeting. Jeff became a member in 2010.
Potential topics for next meeting: Wildlife Division Review, Water Legislation, Budget Challenges, and Habitat Improvement on GPAs and other public lands.
Next Meeting:Â Dec 4, 2013, Hosted by Marshall County Sportsmen's Club at Hickman Dam.